Large sections of the Sciences Library’s lower levels — including the basement and lobby — were closed through the weekend due to a water spillage caused by a faulty sprinkler, according to Vice President for Facilities Management Michael Guglielmo.
Late Friday evening, the Department of Public Safety informed Facilities Management about a fire alarm set off in the library, Guglielmo wrote in an email to The Herald. The alarm was set off after a sprinkler gauge in the stairwell of the library’s seventh floor failed. Water spilled down the stairwell and into the library’s lobby and basement.
The incident coincided with the University’s Family Weekend, during which relatives of Brown students visited campus from Friday to Sunday.
Following the leak, dryers were placed in all affected areas, Guglielmo wrote. As of Monday morning, all areas of the library were open again.
In February, spaces in the Biomedical Center and Sidney Frank Center for Life Sciences were also closed due to damages resulting from broken sprinkler heads, though these were a result of cold weather, The Herald previously reported.
A spokesperson for DPS did not respond to requests for comment.
Neil Mehta is the editor-in-chief and president of the Brown Daily Herald's 134th editorial board. They study public health and statistics at Brown. Outside the office, you can find Neil baking and playing Tetris.