Editors’ Note: Looking back at 2023

For a year, we’ve immersed ourselves in The Herald’s newsroom and the news — campus, local, national and international.

Anyone who dives into a relentless news cycle for one year is likely to walk away with a sense that the year, more than others, held a particular salience and intensity.

Still, at the risk of proving our recency bias: It has been a momentous and busy year on campus.

The year began with unprecedented undergraduate unionization. It continued with the end of race-conscious college admissions — and the reconsideration of admission policies that have stood for decades. As students returned to campus, the University announced the agreements that will govern its voluntary payments to Providence for the next 20 years.

Through the fall, escalating violence in Israel and Gaza brought an intensifying wave of campus activism and devastation for countless students with connections to the region. And then, horrifyingly, an apparent hate crime was committed against a Palestinian Brown student. 

It has been a difficult time to be a student and a person. Our coverage this year has not been perfect. But we hope that we fulfilled our central goal: informing the community that we all belong to.

Amid everything, we’re immensely grateful for our staff who put countless hours into work that has mattered as much as ever this year — especially when it was most difficult.

It has been a privilege to work with these talented staff members and to watch them grow. We have seen them come into their own as we gradually learned the ropes ourselves. We cannot wait to see what they will do next.

As our tenure as The Herald’s 133rd Editorial Board comes to an end, we want to say thank you. Thank you to the Herald staff who made 88 Benevolent welcoming when we started college masked and six feet apart, and to those who kept us coming back week after week.

We are grateful to our alumni Board of Directors for their guidance and to past editorial board members for fielding our questions with kindness. Thank you to our thoughtful and committed section editors for filling our pages and bearing with us through various degrees of delirium as late nights crept on, and to writers for crafting our stories and reporting them well. We appreciate the incredible tech and multimedia staff who have worked to improve our approach, as well as the editors and columnists who have kept our opinions section full. And every staff member that keeps this organization going and reporting the news.

Thank you to our readers. We can’t wait to see where The Herald goes next.

Editors’ notes are written by The Herald’s 133rd Editorial Board: Will Kubzansky ’24, Katy Pickens ’24, Alex Nadirashvili ’24, Augustus Bayard ’24, Caleb Lazar ’24, Peter Swope ’24 and Kaitlyn Torres ’24.