Local vendors bring winter cheer to Providence Flea’s annual holiday markets

Flea features assorted goods, fosters community for small business owners

At the market, customers can find vendors selling a wide assortment of goods, ranging from fresh honey and crocheted stuffed animals to vintage New Yorker covers and holiday decor.

The Providence Flea opened its doors Nov. 24 for the its annual Holiday Markets, held Fridays and Sundays at Farm Fresh Rhode Island. Over four weeks, the market will feature over 250 local vendors, with more than 80 participating each weekend, according to a press release.

Four more markets are scheduled this month — Dec. 8, 10, 15 and 17.

Maria Tocco, owner and market manager of The Providence Flea, estimated that around 1,000 people attended the market Sunday. The high turnout helps support “local vendors and small businesses … worthy and deserving of our support … and people still really recovering from not reaching pre-COVID levels of sales,” Tocco said.

Vendors sell a wide assortment of goods, ranging from fresh honey and crocheted stuffed animals to vintage New Yorker covers and holiday decor. 

According to some vendors, many participants have participated in The Providence Flea for multiple years.

Jen Connolly, owner of Second Street Designs, has been a vendor at the holiday market for multiple years. Connolly’s business specializes in selling vintage, upcycled home and holiday decor, and she sources many of her materials from estate sales and thrift shops.

“I have a lot of fun repurposing (these goods) into a new item,” Connolly said. “I have a lot of fun selling (them) to new customers.” 

Another longtime seller, Kathy Clough, owner of Land and SeaGlass By Kathy, debuted at The Providence Flea in the 2019 holiday season. Her booth features mixed-medium crystal and sea glass goods, three-dimensional nautical pieces and crystal nightlights.

“This is my steady-made money,” Clough said. She also spoke of the relationships she has developed between vendors: “Over the years, we’ve become very, very friendly with a lot of the vendors. So it’s almost like a second kind of friend group,” Clough told The Herald.

Clough also participated in The Providence Flea during the pandemic — which operated with enhanced filtration system and enforcements on traffic and capacity, The Herald previously reported.

“I think the economy (has) kind of affected all of us,” Clough said. “So we’re all feeling it a little bit.”

Small businesses were disproportionately impacted by COVID-19, with more than 3.3 million businesses closing in the first months of the pandemic. The pandemic especially affected businesses owned by women, immigrants and people of color. 

Small Productions, a yarn and knitwear business, participated in the holiday market for the first time this year. The owner, Carol Furlich, said she is considering opening up a local yarn store and teaching knitting classes in the future. Furlich set up a booth to “gauge whether the market wants a yarn store in Providence.”

“This is the only time I’ve sold in a seasonal market,” she said. But “it’s been fun.”

At his booth, Puerto Rican artist RJ MC sold posters, t-shirts and stickers customized with his artwork. RJ MC started working with The Providence Flea during the holiday market last year, and has since also participated in the summer market. 

“I studied at the Rhode Island School of Design, so I’m familiar with the Providence area,” RJ MC said. “It’s a really good venue for starting back again, to start doing the rounds on the art festivals.”

“I think what makes this a special market is the sense of community that you feel when you come through the door,” Tocco said. “It’s a really great combination of vendors … it’s a rotating lineup, so people will come back every week to see what’s new in the room.”

Jennifer Shim

Jennifer Shim is a University News editor overseeing the staff and student labor beat. She is a sophomore studying Applied Math-Economics. Outside of The Herald, you can find her playing NYT Connections.