41 arrested students to appear in court this week

Court dates on Feb. 12, Feb. 14

There have been no changes in the status of the charges according to University Spokesperson Brian Clark.

The court arraignments for the 41 students arrested after a Dec. 11 sit-in will take place on Feb. 12 and Feb. 14 at the Providence 6th Division District Court.

The arraignments were originally scheduled to take place between Jan. 9 and 18 but were postponed to accommodate student schedules, The Herald previously reported.

The students were charged with trespassing after organizing a sit-in at University Hall demanding that President Christina Paxson P’19 P’MD’20 support a ceasefire in the Israel-Palestine conflict and divest from companies tied to “Israeli military occupation,” The Herald previously reported.

The University’s direct investments — a small portion of its overall endowment — do not include companies that students have identified for divestment, and administrators have denied employing external managers with a focus on the defense industry.

In an email to The Herald, University Spokesperson Brian Clark wrote that “there has been no change in status regarding the charges filed on the date of the arrests.”

Clark added that students may still face additional disciplinary action from the University. “Brown has detailed procedures in place to investigate alleged conduct code violations, resolve them and implement discipline in instances when students are found responsible,” he wrote. “Any additional disciplinary measures will be based on the outcome of those processes.”

Avani Ghosh

Avani Ghosh is a Metro Editor covering politics & justice and community & activism. She is a sophomore from Ohio studying Health & Human Biology and International & Public Affairs. She is an avid earl grey enthusiast and can be found making tea in her free time.