Brown Jewish Journal creates new space for Jewish voices on campus

Publication to feature diverse perspectives on Jewish culture, religion, politics

<p>The journal is slated to publish for the first time in early March and will contain 11 articles from nine writers, according to Ariel Stein ’24.</p><p>Courtesy of Ella Goodman</p>

The journal is slated to publish for the first time in early March and will contain 11 articles from nine writers, according to Ariel Stein ’24.

Courtesy of Ella Goodman

In the coming months, students at Brown may notice a new publication on College Hill — the Brown Jewish Journal. 

The journal, the brainchild of Ariel Stein ’24, describes itself as “a way to foster community and dialogue among Brown’s Jewish students.”

The journal is slated to publish for the first time in early March and will contain 11 articles from nine writers, according to Stein. The journal’s three editors — Stein, Teddy Horowitz ’24 and Andrew Rovinsky ’25 — are yet to announce the publication’s frequency. In a sneak preview of the journal, Horowitz mentioned that the first issue will feature articles about a Jewish deli, movies and “quite a few opinion pieces.”

“I realized, especially in light of recent events, that there wasn’t a platform at Brown for Jewish students to be in dialogue with each other and share their experiences and perspectives,” Stein said. “So I created the journal to fill that gap.”

Horowitz said the new publication aims to reflect the diversity of “ views and topics” among Jewish students on College Hill. “We cover politics. We cover religion. We cover culture. Really, (we cover) the joy and struggle of Jewish life, whatever that means to you,” he said.

Aaron Perrotta ’27, the journal’s website director, wrote in a message to The Herald that he hopes the journal will “let different segments of the community learn from each other, given the wide variance in religious observance, political beliefs and so forth that all lie within the community.” 

When seeking submissions for their inaugural issue, the editors expected that most would be related to the ongoing Israel-Palestine war. But Horowitz was surprised that there were fewer articles addressing this topic than anticipated. “People are very excited to talk about other things as well, and I really loved that,” Horowitz said. “It seems like, right now, a lot of Jewish discourse is about antisemitism and Israel and Palestine, and there’s so much more to Judaism than just that.”

Leah Koritz

Leah Koritz is a Senior Staff Writer covering the student government beat under University News. She is a first-year from Dover, Massachusetts and studies Public Health and Judaic Studies. Leah can yas sdrow sdrawkcab (now read that backwards).