Dual Degree students discuss: The Met or the Ratty?

The Herald asked Dual Degree students to compare the Ratty, the Met

<p><br></p>

The Met and the Sharpe Refectory are the main dining halls at the Rhode Island School of Design and Brown respectively. But how does The Met compare to the Ratty? Do RISD students eat better than Brunonians? Is their artistic prowess fueled by their food? The Herald spoke to three Brown-RISD Dual Degree students to uncover the truth.

Sara Homma ’27, a second-year Brown-RISD Dual Degree student, told The Herald that she frequents the Ratty more than the Met out of necessity. “If I had the choice, I would definitely be eating at The Met more often.” 

Homma added that she believes the food at The Met is of “higher quality.” To her, RISD’s smaller undergraduate population contributes to its dining quality. 

As a Mexican student, Homma was pleasantly surprised when The Met served well-cooked Mexican dishes such as pozole. She also appreciates The Met’s frequent festive events, such as meals for Black History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month and National Hot Chocolate Day.

“The whole general vibe at The Met is better,” Homma said. “Brown students are definitely missing out.”

Sophia Nicogossian ’26, a third-year dual-degree student, said that she has “always loved The Met more.”

Nicogossian prefers the structure of The Met for its “cozy” seating and lighting, which, according to her, makes it feel less like a cafeteria and creates a more relaxed atmosphere.

Second-year Dual Degree student Daniella Pozo ’27 echoed Nicogossian’s preference of The Met’s layout. At the Ratty, Pozo thinks it’s “strange” to be “going in circles.” 

But Nicogossian enjoys the “little laps you need to take” to survey the food selection in the Ratty. To her, they provide a “break” and “enrichment.”

Nicogossian, Pozo and Homma also appreciate the Ratty’s wide variety of dishes. In the event that the main entree is unappealing, students can choose from an array of other options, they noted. 

When asked for their favorite meals, the students recommended The Met’s pesto tortellini, miso salmon and wings. Up the hill, they enjoy the Ratty’s salmon, tacos and ribs. 

Homma added that any Brown student can dine at The Met for $14.

Rose Farman-Farma

Rose Farman-Farma is a Freshman Comparative Literature concentrator from England who loves writing and music.