Three community members inducted into Providence’s MLK Hall of Fame

Inductees discuss importance of love, service to others in building community

<p>he induction was hosted in the Providence City Council chambers and was followed by a reception in honor of Black History Month, featuring food and live performances. </p>

he induction was hosted in the Providence City Council chambers and was followed by a reception in honor of Black History Month, featuring food and live performances.

On Feb. 12, Mayor Brett Smiley inducted three Providence community members to the city’s Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Hall of Fame. The induction was hosted in the Providence City Council chambers and was followed by a reception in honor of Black History Month, featuring food and live performances. 

The three inductees were Helen Baskerville-Dukes, Derek Earl Hazard Jr. and Chief Judge Frank Caprio.

Baskerville-Dukes serves as the executive director at Mount Hope Community Center — a local organization that works on a range of community efforts — and is also a playwright. Her film “Ladies Night” premiered at the Rhode Island Black Film Festival in 2019.

Baskerville-Dukes discussed her childhood and revealed her motivations for contributing to the community in her speech.

“When my daughter went to school, I saw how bad things were … I just wanted her to have a better teacher and through that, my community activism began.” Since then, Baskerville-Dukes has dedicated over 20 years to advocacy in education and equity. 

“I’m very proud, very happy that she was recognized for the work that she … (has done) for 20-something plus years,” said Dwayne Keys, who has known Baskerville-Dukes for more than 10 years and collaborated with her organization on multiple projects. 

Keys added that he sees Baskerville-Dukes as an inspiration to others and “a gem.”

Hazard Jr., another inductee, founded a barbershop known as “the Black Men’s Country Club.”

Hazard Jr. spoke about how his childhood experiences have motivated his work in justice and equity in Providence. He founded the Chad Brown Alumni Association, which organizes charity events, helps low-income families and supports peer leadership, according to the organization’s website. His sister, Lashann Andrade-Hazard, noted that she hopes the induction’s themes of love and unity mentioned will be carried into the Providence community. 

Serving the Providence City Council from 1962 to 1970 and working as a Providence Municipal Court Judge since 1985, Caprio, with a distinguished legal career, was also inducted into the hall of fame. 

Caprio explained in his speech that King’s assassination happened during a trip to Memphis in support of a sanitation workers’ strike — emphasizing that people should remember King’s legacy of service.

“People around the world know our beautiful city because of (Caprio),” Mayor Smiley noted,  referring to Caprio’s popular show “Caught in Providence.” “One thing they know is that this is a place where there is compassion, understanding and everyone bears the fair share,” Smiley said.