SZA expresses everyday anxieties in other-worldly single “Saturn”

Artist releases single following 2024 Grammys performance

<p>With “Saturn,” SZA continues to prove her memorable musical talents and emotional sensitivity, leaving fans eager to hear what comes next.</p><p>Photo courtesy of RCA Records</p>

With “Saturn,” SZA continues to prove her memorable musical talents and emotional sensitivity, leaving fans eager to hear what comes next.

Photo courtesy of RCA Records

R&B singer-songwriter SZA released her new single “Saturn” on Feb. 22 after debuting the song during the 2024 Grammy Awards broadcast. The single was released as a bundle pack alongside its live performance and acapella, sped-up and instrumental versions. 

The song’s release came as a pleasant surprise to fans, since many were left hoping for its official drop after the Grammys, where SZA took home three awards for her sophomore album “SOS.” After the singer teased what seemed to be a new album titled “Lana” in December — which is yet to have a release date announced — fans were understandably taken aback by the casual reveal of “Saturn.” 

Whether pointing towards an upcoming project or not, SZA’s newest single is yet another testament to her ability to craft songs lush with emotion. In “Saturn,” SZA evokes a celestial sense of longing with starry instrumentals and dreamy vocals. Frustrated with the cyclical nature of life and feeling stuck in her own head, SZA wishes she could escape from her troubles and transport herself to another planet. 

Through her lyrics, SZA addresses feelings of helplessness and existentialism under a blanket of ethereal melodies. “Stuck in this paradigm / Don’t believe in paradise / This must be what Hell is like / There’s got to be more, got to be more,” she sings in the pre-chorus. In such ambiguity, SZA is able to tackle relatable issues such as feeling confused in young adulthood and the futility of moving forward in life. 

Amid the moving delivery of these melancholic lines, a shimmering instrumental backdrop floats listeners up into a hazy dimension, drawing a contrast between SZA’s dream whimsical life and the crushing reality that keeps dragging her down. This combination of driving vocals and delicate aesthetics can also be heard in many of the artist’s other beloved tracks like “Good Days” and “Open Arms (feat. Travis Scott).” In “Saturn,” SZA continues to present her honest thoughts with a balance of raw representations of hurt and hope for a better future. 

“I’ll be better on Saturn / None of this matters / Dreaming of Saturn,” SZA sings as she gently concludes the song. Dreaming of faraway planets, she reaches a heightened level of vulnerability by acknowledging her desire to find somewhere she truly belongs. With “Saturn,” SZA continues to prove her memorable musical talents and emotional sensitivity, leaving fans eager to hear what comes next.

Isabel Hahn

Isabel Hahn is an Arts & Culture section editor who concentrates in English and Behavioral Decision Sciences. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies, reading, and journaling.