“Unidentified package” in Providence Superior Court was not an explosive device, PPD says

College Street reopened, PPD officers still on site

At around 10 a.m. Tuesday, civilians in the Providence Superior Court and nearby buildings were told to evacuate by the Providence Police Department. 

PPD said that there was an “unidentified package” in the Providence Superior Court that they are actively investigating. Members of the Rhode Island Bomb Squad were also present. 

In an email to The Herald, PPD Public Information Officer Lindsay League wrote that “the article … was determined not to be an explosive device.” 

PPD blocked off College Street. Civilians were told to stay near the Van Wickle Gates for their safety. Individuals west of the closure had been told to stay west of Benefit Street.

Bomb Squad personnel detonated the package at approximately 11:14 a.m. PPD Officers notified civilians of the detonation around 15 minutes before.

”The building was evacuated and a controlled explosion was executed,” Lague added. “The scene has been cleared by police and there is no threat to public safety.”

At around 11:36 a.m., PPD officers reopened College Street. The R.I. Bomb Squad left the scene. 

As of 11:35 a.m., some PPD officers remained near the Providence Superior Court. They later left the site.

Tom Li

Tom Li is a Metro Editor covering the Health & Environment and Development & Infrastructure beats. He is from Pleasanton, California, and is concentrating in Economics and International & Public Affairs. He is an avid RIPTA passenger and enjoys taking (and criticizing) personality tests in his free time.

Avani Ghosh

Avani Ghosh is a Metro Editor covering politics & justice and community & activism. She is a sophomore from Ohio studying Health & Human Biology and International & Public Affairs. She is an avid earl grey enthusiast and can be found making tea in her free time.

Megan Chan

Megan is a Senior Staff Writer covering community and activism in Providence. Born and raised in Hong Kong, she spends her free time drinking coffee and wishing she was Meg Ryan in a Nora Ephron movie.