Sophia Grace Carter

Carter_Almandrez_CO_BrownUniversity

Dean of Students stepping down next month

Mary Grace Almandrez will step down from her position as associate vice president for campus life and dean of students, according to an Oct.19 email from Vice President for Campus Life Eric Estes sent to the University’s Division of Campus Life. Her official last day in the office will be Nov. 5, ...

Carter_Ban_CO_BrownUniversity

Ban Ki-moon reflects on time at UN

Ban Ki-moon greeted the audience with a humble bow as he approached the podium in Salomon Hall. As part of the Stephen A. Ogden Jr. ’60 Memorial Lecture Series, Ban reflected on his two-term tenure as Secretary-General of the United Nations while also calling for partnership, global citizenship and ...

The Setonian

Corporation approves tuition hike in FY19

On Saturday Feb. 11 the Corporation, the University’s uppermost governing body, voted to approve a $1.1 billion budget for the 2019 fiscal year, which is a 3.8 percent increase from last year’s and the largest in the University’s history. The budget includes a 4 percent increase in undergraduate ...

Restorative-Justice-01-by-Alex-Hanesworth-1

University implements restorative justice program

Most modern criminal justice systems solely rely on punitive measures — an eye for an eye, or the guilty must be punished for the crimes they commit. At colleges and universities, student conduct policies typically subscribe to similar punishment-based practices. But the University has begun to implement ...

Carter_Orchestra_Brown_Brown-University
Arts & Culture

Orchestra concert to feature Russian composers

Despite a recent and abrupt change in leadership, the Brown University Orchestra sounded cohesive and melodic while rehearsing in Sayles Hall Monday evening for their upcoming concert. Entitled “The Russian Connection,” the concert will feature three pieces reflecting both stable and volatile eras ...

Carter_New-Mindfulness-Center_CO_Brown
Science & Research

University opens new mindfulness center

Beginning in the late 1970s, mindfulness moved from the ashram to the laboratory, where researchers began to study its effects on health. Brown has been at the forefront, having formally introduced a contemplative studies initiative and concentration over 10 years ago. Now, Brown is opening a new center ...

More articles »