Students, professors juggle pre-break exams

While studying for a midterm might not be as appealing as lying on the beach or skiing, students say having midterms directly before spring break has not seriously affected their vacation plans. Though several exams have caused scheduling issues.

"I don't mind having (exams) right before spring break," said James Kraemer '08. "I would rather have an exam right before break than after break than after - that way it's not hanging over my head all of break," he added.

But several students have asked their professors to reschedule midterms to better accommodate their schedules, with some students asking for exams to be moved earlier than the Friday before break.

Maria Carkovic, administrative director of the commerce, organizations and entrepreneurship concentration and teacher of EC 150: "Current Global Macroeconomic Challenges," rescheduled a midterm in her course after several students asked her to move the exam from the Friday before spring break to Wednesday.

Carkovic said she gives midterms when she has "covered enough material" in order to have an effective exam. Since the class had covered enough information to have the exam early, Carkovic said she was willing to give the exam on Wednesday.

But, Carkovic said she would not have moved the exam if she felt that the class was behind in the material.

"It wouldn't have mattered (if students complained)," she said.

Students in other classes have also asked professors to change midterms scheduled just before spring break. Kraemer said his midterm in PH 8: "Introduction to Relativity and Quantum Physics" was moved because of student complaints.

Originally scheduled for after spring break, the midterm was shifted to this Friday so students would not have to study over break. However, students voted in class to reschedule the midterm again, back to after the break, a decision Kraemer said Valles made after an in-class vote.

Kraemer, who also has a midterm in BN 102: "Principles of Neurobiology" this Thursday, said having midterms just before spring break has not been a major inconvenience for him.

Ruthie Rosenberg '09, who is currently taking CH 35: "Organic Chemistry" and has a midterm in that class this Wednesday, also said her exam scheduling has not proved problematic.

"The plan was always to leave when spring break started," Rosenberg said. Several members of the class said most students were not planning on leaving for break early.

Akriti Bhambi '09, another student in the class said that she had originally planned leave campus on Friday morning, a decision that was "not because of the midterm."

"If (the midterm) was on Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. that would have been bad, but Wednesday is not too bad," Rosenberg said.