I've seen Butter Days

None of the members of Butter Days are shrinking violets, and in a six-person band, that might seem a little dangerous. But opening for indie-rock group Fourth of July at the Hourglass Cafe in Faunce House Wednesday night, the musical talent and exuberance of each Butter Days member made for a performance that was warmly cohesive rather than competitive.

With nothing to keep spirits afloat but caffeine (the Hourglass Cafe, unlike its doppelganger the Underground, eschews standard concert booze for non-alcoholic beverages), the crowd's enthusiasm was testament to the band's infectious brand of folk-influenced indie-pop.

The nuanced vocals and earnest strumming of Henry Freedland '08 seemed at once quietly personal as well as confidently charismatic, affording him formidable frontman status without upstaging the other musicians.

Even on a crowded stage, each member held their own. Guitarist James Potter '08 drily bantered his way through an uncomfortable broken-string crisis - a potentially irritating interruption that instead proved entertaining. Back-up vocalists Brittany Harwood '09 and Kathleen Ross '08 added 'ooh's and 'aah's reminiscent of the Rentals, and Ross' melodica solos were a perennial crowd-pleaser.

Nor did Herald Senior Editor Jonathan Sidhu '08.5 on drums or bassist Lena Buell '08 choose to hang back, both giving energetic performances and fielding the shout-outs of an exuberant audience.

The caliber of Butter Days' music did justice to their impressive stage presence. Ross and Harwood in particular allowed certain songs to flirt with Of Montreal-style whimsy, while Freedland sustained the emotional range and catchy melodies reminiscent of Sufjan Stevens.

It was during their final number, "San Francisco," that the band really came into its own. Sidhu's compelling rhythm maintained the group's force as each musician fired on all cylinders. Such a group effort made for a movingly orchestral finale, demonstrating that Butter Days is a band that combines individual musical chops with impressive strength in numbers.