Kickin' it with Paul Grandstrand '11

Goalkeeper Paul Grandstrand '11 has made, to say the least, an impressive showing on the pitch this season for the Bears. He currently holds the Brown record for most shutouts in a season and is tied for most career shutouts. Last year, he was named First-Team All-Ivy goalie, and he was Ivy League rookie of the year in his freshman year.

For his historical performances in net, the Herald has named Grandstrand our athlete of the week.

Herald: How did you decide to come to Brown?

Grandstrand: I think going into the application process, Brown was my No. 1 because it was a great fit between academic and athletics. Because of that, it meant a lot coming in, and I was lucky because the coach wanted me here.

How does it feel to be on a nationally ranked team?

We try not to dwell too much on rankings because, at the end of the day, they don't mean a lot. But it's nice to say you were a part of (it).

Do you have any siblings?

Yeah, I have a sister who is two years younger than me. Her name is Rachel. She's going to school in Ohio at Oberlin.

What are you majoring in at Brown?

Mechanical engineering.

Wow. Is it hard to balance classes and soccer?

I don't think it's too hard. I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. You know, I get that question a lot, but, like I said, it's what I enjoy.

What have been some of the unique opportunities at Brown?

It's hard to do anything. It's like you said — how do I manage my time? It's hard for me to really do anything outside of school and soccer. But within those two, I've had some great opportunities. With soccer, we've been traveling. We've gone to California for a weekend and we flew into North Carolina for the NCAA Tournament.

Any opportunities with engineering?

Yeah. At the end of the semester, I'm going to go visit a General Electric wind turbine plant. You just get those sweet opportunities.

What's your typical summer vacation?

Summer for me is … well, actually, it's been the same the past two summers. I've had a half-time internship at a software company doing odd jobs and little programming. Then, I play on a (Premier Development League) team. There is MLS, (United Soccer Leagues), then PDL, which is meant more for college players.

Which famous person would you want to meet?

Brett Favre! I'm a Vikings fan and I'm from Minnesota. I have a lot of respect for him, with him playing as long as he has. The thing is, I hated his guts when he played for the Packers, but the fact (is) that he can switch sides.

If you could travel to any place, where would it be?

I would have to say either Australia or New Zealand. I love scuba diving and I think the Great Barrier Reef would be a place that I would love to go and see.

What are you looking to do post-Brown?

I think the academic decision is to take a year off and go to law school (and) eventually work in patents. I think soccer may be an option, but that's something that's down the road and I try not think about it. You know, we have three games left in the season and it's way more important that I focus on that.