Women's hockey eyes postseason

The women's hockey team may look completely different this season. Under new Head Coach Amy Bourbeau and playing in a new system, the Bears are off to a 1-1-1 start and are hoping to finish with a winning record for the first time in six seasons.

"Our team goal is to definitely make playoffs," said co-captain and leading goal-scorer Katelyn Landry '12. "We're looking to at least go .500 in the league and every day get better as a group and as individuals."

Leading alongside Landry will be Paige Pyett '12, who will direct Bruno's back line this winter. The defense will also be bolstered by goalkeeping tandem Katie Jamieson '13 and Aubree Moore '14, who have both seen significant minutes in net for the Bears this season.

The team also welcomes six new members to its ranks and will look to have them contribute right away.

"The younger players are adapting really well," Bourbeau said. "To me, they seem like pros. They really get it, they know what they're doing and they're working hard. That class as a whole, they're really smart hockey players. They really see the game well."

"They come to the rink and want to work hard and do whatever they can," Landry said. "They're a great bunch."

Bourbeau joins the team after 16 years of college hockey coaching experience, including 14 years as an assistant coach at Ivy rival Princeton.

"(Bourbeau's) philosophy is just to come out and work hard every single day," Landry said. "She really knows how to motivate all of our players."

"We're playing an all new system, so that is kind of a big change for everyone," Bourbeau said. "Sometimes you can rely on the older kids to show the younger kids what's going on out there, but because of this change, no one knows, and everything is new."

Bruno has already played three games this season, defeating Sacred Heart 10-0, tying Colgate 1-1 and falling to Cornell 9-0.

"The group effort is there," Bourbeau said. "Everyone is working really hard, whether we're winning the game or losing the game. We work until the buzzer and the game is over, and that is somewhat different maybe than in seasons past."

The Bears will seek their first conference victory of the year when Bourbeau faces her old team, Princeton (2-1-1, 1-0-1), Friday.

"I really believe we'll be competitive in every game," Bourbeau said. "We always have a chance to win."