Alexander ’16 lights up scoreboard, obliterates career-high

Junior guard leads Bears to season-opening victory over Vermont with 27-point outburst

With a team-high and career-best 27 points, Jordin Alexander ’16 led the women’s basketball team in its season-opening victory against the University of Vermont Saturday. The 5-foot-10 guard demonstrated her ability to break through the opposing defense and either get to the rim to convert for two, or pull up and sink a short jumper.

A crucial layup from Alexander with just over a minute left in
Saturday’s contest fueled the Bears’ comeback over the Catamounts. Then, two clutch free throws from the junior guard sealed the victory for the Bears. Alexander’s display earned her recognition from the Ivy League in this week’s women’s basketball Honor Roll.

For her impactful and game-winning performance and new career-high, The Herald has named Alexander Athlete of the Week.

Herald: What is your favorite aspect of being a member of Brown basketball?
Alexander: I would say getting to spend so much time with all the girls. There are actually a lot of funny people on our team. The road trips and getting to spend time with them is fun. They’re just great people.

What made you start playing basketball?
My dad, probably. He’s a huge basketball fan and was my coach growing up. His interest in basketball got me started at a young age, and I’ve just continued on with it.
In Saturday’s game against Vermont, you obliterated your previous career-high for points scored in a game. How did it feel to have such a dynamic performance this early in the season?
It was fun! Obviously anytime you can get a win is a good thing. We were just excited to be able to come out that strong from the start and not have to build up to anything. We just came out strong right away so it was a good feeling for everyone I think to be able to start off that way.

How has the change in coaching staff midway through your career at Brown been?
Anytime you transition to a new coaching staff it can be difficult, but I think these coaches in particular have made it fairly easy for us. We all get along really well and being able to spend a lot of time with them during preseason has allowed us to be more comfortable with them. And, like I’ve said before, we completely just trust what they’re doing and trust their system. I think it’s a great fit and the transition has been really smooth.

You’ve come back this season incredibly strong, especially considering you were out with an injury at the end of last season. What did you do to get back into the condition you’re in now?
I worked a lot in the off-season. Rehab was big. Just putting in some extra work over the summer to make up for everything I had to miss last season.

Favorite pre-game meal?
I normally just have a couple of granola bars. I don’t eat big. I can never eat big.

What are your thoughts on the rest of the season?
We’re really excited for what we could be able to do this year. I think we have a lot of potential. And like I said, we really trust the system and what the coaches are putting out there and implementing for us. I think that (the new coaching staff) can bring really good things to the program. Yeah, we’re excited to see what we’ll be able to do and see if we can improve on last year and in years past.