Arts & Culture

Comic exhibition illuminates Arab culture through cartoons

'Arab Comics: 90 Years of Popular Culture' subverts popular characters, resists stereotypes and oppression

Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Youthful characters mingle with starker images of violence in the comics that line the walls along the second floor of the Watson Institute for International Studies. Colorful images of Mickey Mouse adorned in lavish Arabic garments and headdresses  create an aura that is distinctly familiar yet rich with Arabic culture.

The “Arab Comics: 90 Years of Popular Visual Culture” exhibition is on display Feb. 1 to March 15. The curation features Arabic comics crafted as early as the 1950s and as recently 2012.

Sarah Tobin, associate director of Middle East studies, said she hopes the exhibition will give spectators the opportunity to complicate the image of the Middle East that is typically conjured. Replacing many stereotypes of the region, the cartoons bring to life “some amazing images from the 20th century” in an accessible and familiar way, she added.

“Comics are perceived as a Western medium” but characters like Mickey Mouse, Tintin and Superman have in fact been present in the Middle East since the 1920s, said Nadim Damluji, who co-curated the exhibition with his sister, Mona Damluji.

Nadim Damluji said he first became interested in Arab comics after coming across a comic magazine at a book market in Cairo many years ago, adding that his interest has since developed into a passion. He is now a comic book scholar and critic, conducting extensive and in-depth research on the history of comics in Arab countries from the twentieth century to today.

He  said his favorite comic in the exhibition, entitled “Mîkî” by an unidentified artist in 1964, features 14 images of Mickey Mouse framed by traditional Arabic architecture, each with a different skin tone. The piece overturns the monochromatic Mickey that graces most American televisions.

“They are taking something that’s so American and making it Arab,” Nadim Damluji said.

Damluji said he hopes the exhibit will disrupt the misconception that comics are strictly a Western product, not only through the children’s comics it features but also through the more contemporary works, which use comics as a medium to express the “tense things in the Middle East that are going on all the time.”

Comics allow artists to “tell personal stories about complicated situations,” he added.

The Arab comics provide an unconventional platform for audiences to learn about politics and current events, Tobin said, adding that comics can sometimes represent a satirical way to express opinions and subvert political norms.

More contemporary pieces from the Beirut-based comics collective Samandal include a black-and-white work that contrasts with the vibrancy across the hall. The piece entitled “Yogurt and Jam or How My Mother Became Lebanese” by Lena Merhej comprises nine panels that contradict its playful title. Tanks, gunfire and explosions, spread over nine years of violence, set a somber tone. 

“Within the Arab world, there have been many cases of comics and illustration used in resisting oppression,” said Fouad Mezher, whose artwork is featured in the exhibit.

“The exhibit presents images that most people have never seen from the Middle East,” wrote Mona Damluji, co-curator of the exhibit, in an email to The Herald, adding that the organizers hoped to “pose new questions about the relationship between visual culture, Islam and the Arab world.”

Mona Damluji approached the Middle East studies program with the idea for the exhibit and symposium last semester. She wrote that when she approached Beshara Doumani, professor of modern Middle East history and director of Middle East studies, about the idea, he was “immediately enthusiastic as he agreed that very little has been written or shown in the U.S. to better understand this popular medium.”

The Middle East studies department will also host a symposium Feb. 26, which will showcase the comics while featuring artists and scholars from the United States and Lebanon.

Nadim Damluji said the symposium will add another dimension to the exhibition, which he hopes will act as a “conversation starter” to promote interest and to familiarize more people with the concept of Arab comics.

The exhibition also provides a unique opportunity to “highlight some important activists and artists who might struggle to have their work and contributions recognized so easily,” Tobin said.

• Hilton

Paris?

• ISAHAK BARSOUMIAN

Hi and Hello to you MS./Mrs .Carolynn CONG from London/G.Britain, i hope you receive my humble Email as your good self enjoying very best of health,also please allow me to show you my gratitude and appriciation concerning your report on Feb.11 /2015 about the Arab Culture Exhibit at Brown Uni. WELL i assume it came a bit late and also it is high time for the Western World to acknowledge our culture in the M. EAST?? as one says Better late than Never !! Very intriguing article you wrote there ..thank you very much, also I , my humble self would like to participate in my modest ways /channels in the matter…and add few facts that may be Useful to anyone interested in this subject?? I mean Arab Comi-Cartoonists in the Middle East for the last 06 decades..i mean since 1950 s/ as before that there were modest efforts by individuals ,but as the whole region was ruled by the Othomman regime then in Turkey, which used to Hang /Execute any critic or oppos. let alone CARTOONISTS/it followed by Frenco/British imperialisme, a bit different ,but still not very liberal!! thats why some writers /artists saught assylum elsewhere in neighboring countries to express opinions & free views.. so 90 years in my humble opinion a bit EXAGGERATED, as most arab countries had no proper PRESS, the omnly printers were located at Christian Convents or Gov. quarters ..then!!, i mean back in 1920 s.. also illitracy was rife ,so everythin g was either in Turkish /French languages..untill these nations there got their Independeces one by one /Lebanon in 1943/ when things started to warm up, i hope MS./Mrs. CONG i am not boring you with such details..but if you want me to be more specific in explaining more it will be my pleasure to do so ,whenever you allow me by submitting your response to this email,by the way my name is ISAHAK YERVANT BARSOUMIAN /I am a Lebanese/Armenian by both parents born in Beirut/Lebanon in Feb.02/ 1947living in the G.B. since 1979,even though an Armenian ,by self effort ,i indulged myself in the Arabic culture ..i loved it,and never regreted to do so ,and thanks to GOD I was around to witness the Golden DAWN /AGE of this culture..or our HAPPY DAYS… those good old days,even though filled with Wars / Civil wars/Conflicts , also Natural disasters sometimes. ..but its WORTH LIVING !! and thank GOD allowed me to witness how Western Media took interest in OUR MODEST CULTURE..nowdays??this pleases me a lot as a British/Lebanese,and gives me pride that i lived it/witnessed the birth of that New Dawn in my prime !and would like to share it with anyone .. who shows some interesteven though i wasn t A.U.B graduate, or any other Uni. in Beirut .. but life was mine,and my enthusiasm in this made me send you this humble Email..thank you for your most valuable time for reading these long lines..best of regards /GOD bless ibarsoumian@ymail.com any reply…welcome!!!!

1