Metro, News

Community rallies for assault weapons ban

High school students make impassoned plea for gun control legislation in Rhode Island

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Fifteen-year-old Adah Bryan urged lawmakers to do more to prevent gun violence, listing off the mass shootings that had occurred in her lifetime before a crowd of over a hundred community members gathered in the State House rotunda Tuesday afternoon.

“People say we’re too young to know what we’re talking about, but I’m a young adult who has seen these shootings over and over and over again,” said Bryan, a ninth grader from Classical High School. “Laws need to be passed, action needs to be taken.”

“Don’t let us be the next Parkland, the next Sandy Hook, the next Columbine,” she added.

The Rhode Island Coalition Against Gun Violence organized the rally in support of the “Rhode Island Assault Weapons Ban Act of 2018.” The bill was introduced into the R.I. General Assembly by Senator Josh Miller D-Cranston, Providence and Representative Jason Knight D-Bristol, Warren on Tuesday.

The legislation (2018-S 2493) would ban the sale and ownership of semiautomatic rifles, pistols and shotguns — including the AR-15 rifle, a weapon used in a series of mass shootings including Sandy Hook and, recently, Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida Feb. 14. The bill has 29 sponsors in the House and 18 in the Senate, according to a press release from the R.I. General Assembly. Ten states, including Massachusetts and Connecticut, have passed similar legislation.

“These (assault) weapons have so much more lethality than just a regular shotgun or handgun,” said Linda Finn, president of RICAGV. “It’s really important to keep them off the streets and away from people.”

The bill would also prohibit “large capacity” magazines that would accept more than ten rounds of ammunition.

Currently Rhode Island only allows five rounds of magazine capacity for deer hunting and three rounds for duck hunting, RICAGV stated in a press release.

However, the bill does allow for the continued use of some “grandfathered” assault weapons and exempts R.I. peace officers.

Last week, Gov. Gina Raimondo signed an executive order, the “Red Flag Law,” directing law enforcement agencies to remove guns from individuals who display signs — including on social media — that they may be a public safety threat.

Raimondo told the crowd that she had felt motivated to enact gun control reform after her 13-year-old daughter demanded to know what she had been doing about gun violence in Rhode Island.

“We’ve had enough talking,” Raimondo said. “Get me the bill and I’ll sign it!”

Lawmakers and activists stressed the importance of listening to the voices of youth in the gun control debate.

Taliq Tillman, a student at the Met School, expressed anger at feeling “overwhelmingly helpless” after hearing about the Parkland shooting, especially following inaction from many lawmakers.

“Silence is tiring, draining and infuriating,” Tillman said. “Silence is another word for acceptance.”

“I stand here today because I believe in myself, my peers and youth, and I believe that we can shape national narratives,” he added.

“Enough is enough,” the crowd chanted in support, many wearing orange shirts in solidarity with the Parkland survivors. “Protect kids, not guns” read one sign, while others hoisted white sheets of paper splattered with red paint.

Not everyone at the rally came in support of the legislation. “There’s a lot more that we can do (to prevent mass shootings) than simply taking away my weapons or infringing upon my rights,” said Greg Brown, a member of both the R.I. Second Amendment Coalition and the NRA. Restricting access to guns could make it more difficult for “good guys” to stop school shootings, he said.

John Rinaldi, president and founder of the Sandy Hook Center, told The Herald that although he supported Raimondo’s executive order and the state’s assault weapons ban, he remained pessimistic about the National Rifle Association’s lobby power on federal and state levels. Since the Sandy Hook shooting in 2012, the gun control movement has been “drowned out by the NRA influence,” he said.

“If people cannot relate or don’t want to actualize the reality of our kids being slaughtered, they will be dismissive, say it’s not an issue, and until you lose your child, you can’t fully comprehend,” Rinaldi said.

The issue of gun violence cannot be fixed by only one piece of legislation, said Pete Bilderback, senior program coordinator at the Institute for Brain and Neural Systems and board member of RICAGV. Still, he emphasized the importance of preventative steps like banning assault weapons.

“When I go to bed, I lock my door. I’m fully aware that doing so won’t keep a professional burglar out of my house,” Bilderback said. “But I lock it anyway because I don’t want to make it easy for them and that’s what we’re doing right now, we’re making it easy for these crimes to happen.”

Other bills on RICAGV’s legislative agenda for 2018 include the Safe Schools Act to restrict concealed carry weapons in K-12 schools and a Gun Violence Restraining Order that prevents individuals who endanger themselves or those around them from buying or owning firearms or ammunition.

A national school walkout is planned for March 14 to protest gun violence in light of the Parkland shooting. Providence high school students will be participating, Bryan said. 

“I think that this year is going to be a different year because of (student) voices — you can’t ignore those voices,” Miller said. “This is a large chorus that can’t be denied and it will not stop at red flags, it will not stop at bump stocks, it will not stop at magazines, it will not stop at assault weapons. It will stop when we hear from our schools and our teachers that they feel safe.”

The NRA did not respond to a request for comment.

• Ron Ruggieri

The NRA is being over-vilified by the phony ” liberal ” Democratic Party . They hope that gun control hysteria incongruously combined with HATE RUSSIA, New McCarthyism will let them recapture lost political power in the fall election .
    A phony of phonies is Hillary pal Governor Gina Raimondo . Just how popular is Queen Gina with poor and working class -still HUNGRY – families in Rhode Island ?
    A working class person- in hopeless despair- might think the NRA his or her best friend.
    Gina Raimondo rivals that infamous hotel capitalist, Leona Helmsley, as the ” Queen of Mean ” . But the obsequious Providence Journal editors and reporters try to make her seem as warm and fuzzy as Eleanor Roosevelt.

• Gary

I saw the results of a resident opinion poll a few weeks ago. Three way tie for the worst state in the US to live in was Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Illinois. I was really surprised. I would have figured RI was a complete runaway for the top position!

• Ron Ruggieri

All this state of Rhode Island really needs is a new multi-million dollar baseball stadium for the beloved Pawtucket Red Sox ( I always enjoyed McCoy Stadium ).
      If WE build it , THEY will come ! ( the Kennedy Plaza homeless ? ) .

• peter hewett

It is my view that the NRA is not the problem. I attended this rally against gun violence and carried a sign that said just that – NRA is NOT the PROBLEM. I spoke with a couple of folks about the issues including Jack Brook, the author of this Brown University school newspaper article. My feelings are not hurt at his failure to mention in his report on the rally his on the record discussion with me. I found it telling that Jack mentioned to me that I was the first person he had spoken with to have my conservative fact based points of view. I told Jack that the most of the people gathered in the state capitol building rotunda, unlike its organizers, the Governor and attending state reps and senators, I believed to be sincere, well intended, understandably upset and angry about the killings of innocent in Florida and elsewhere but seriously misinformed and who are acting more out of emotional reactions rather than clear reasoning based on objective facts. Not a single legislative initiative discussed at the rally will do a thing to save a single child or keep a single child safe from harm. I have asked the governors office for a copy of her red flag bill and will be surprised if I get a response. But at first blush and without having seen what it is she sees as the solution (even partly) raises concern in my mind on how such a bill will address the due process right every citizen is guaranteed in our Constitution. Due process rights along with the Bill of Rights never seem to get in the way of the politics to get votes by some. It was nice speaking with you Jack. Should you ever want to speak again, I live in Bristol. You have my number.