Arts & Culture

Sock & Buskin announces ’09-’10 line-up

Arts & Culture Editor
Thursday, April 23, 2009

In addition to presenting four plays from three different centuries, Sock & Buskin’s 2009-2010 season will mark the culmination of a retooled relationship between Brownbrokers — a group that produces student-written musicals — and the Department of Theatre, Speech and Dance. Next season’s student musical will benefit from increased faculty support and funding, according to Brownbrokers board member Aaron Malkin ’10.

Brownbrokers has traditionally produced one musical written, directed and produced by students as part of each Sock & Buskin season. But next season’s show will be faculty-directed, and it will enjoy more design mentoring and a fuller development process.

The season kicks off in September with Moliere’s classic farce “Tartuffe,” auditions for which will take place before the end of this semester, Sock & Buskin board member Chris Tyler ’10 wrote in an e-mail to The Herald.

Frank Wedekind’s proto-expressionist play “Lulu” will be produced in February.

Two contemporary plays will also be featured. “The Cook,” a drama by Eduardo Machado about Cuba under Fidel Castro, goes up in April. Jordan Harrison’s MFA’03 play “Doris to Darlene” will be presented in December.

The Brownbrokers’ show, which has yet to be selected, will be produced in November. Two musicals are currently under consideration for the slot — “Adding Up,” by Sarah Kay ’10 and Drew Nobile ’07 and “Leavittsburg, Ohio,” by Nate Sloan ’09. Both works will soon receive staged readings — “Adding Up” on May 9 and “Leavittsburg, Ohio” on May 10. The board, in collaboration with department faculty, will then select one of the musicals for production, Malkin said.

Comments are closed. If you have corrections to submit, you can email The Herald at herald@browndailyherald.com.