Letter to the Editor: One day at Brown not enough

To the Editor:

While I appreciate the sentiment of Yue Wang '12 's column ("For the sake of Hope," Feb. 9), it nevertheless left me feeling uneasy.

The implicit suggestion that all Hope High School students need to succeed is the inspiration provided by a day on Brown's campus presents two problems. First, it belittles the drive and motivation to succeed embodied by many of Hope's students despite significant odds, both statistical and otherwise. Second, it downplays the very challenges described by Wang that stand between most Hope High students and a Brown education. Students who enter high school with literacy and math scores well below grade level need sustained academic support if they are to graduate "college ready." They also need consistent, positive, mentorship — both academic and personal — to support their efforts and their desire to succeed.

While a one-day visit to College Hill may leave both visitor and host feeling good about themselves, it can hardly be described as a sustainable or adequate intervention. To truly provide hope to underprivileged students at Hope High and other urban schools throughout Providence, I would strongly urge you to consider a longer-term commitment such as those offered through Brown's Swearer Center or other local organizations. Even a few hours each week can have a marked impact on their life and yours.

Michael Ewart '11

Feb. 9