Metro, News

Ocean State sees record voter turnout as R.I. expands forms of voting

Early in-person voting, mail-in ballots, same-day registration offered in R.I., ensuring ‘convenient, safe, secure’ voting

Friday, November 6, 2020

More than 500,000 Rhode Islanders voted in the 2020 general election, eclipsing the state’s previous all-time record for voter turnout in 2008. 

The all-time record turnout in the state was driven in part by historic levels of early voting, mail-in voting and other efforts made by the R.I. Department of State to increase the ease of voting during a pandemic, R.I. Secretary of State Nellie Gorbea told The Herald. 

Thirty percent of Rhode Island voters took advantage of early in-person voting this election, while another 31 percent used mail-in ballots and 39 percent voted on Election Day, according to Gorbea’s office. 

The election “was beyond my wildest dreams,” Gorbea said. “Everywhere I went, people were incredibly happy at the way things were running. I have never been thanked so much in an election,” Gorbea said.

“We had a record turnout. We had 507,052 voters who exercised that right to vote in the midst of a pandemic,” Gorbea said, pointing to the high turnout as an indication of the election’s success.

Gorbea attributed the high turnout in part to the steps taken by the R.I. Department of State to provide voters with several different ways to cast their ballots. For the first time in state history, Rhode Island opened up polling places for early voting from Oct. 14 to Nov. 3. The state also saw mass use of mail-in ballots, as hundreds of thousands of Rhode Islanders voted by mail due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“It was a very contentious election, and people felt, on either side, that a lot was at stake,” Gorbea said. “If you take that energy and deposit it into a regular election structure, you would not have gotten the numbers that we had. That energy was able to be managed by providing people with … very safe and secure forms in which they could choose from to vote.”

Usha Bhalla / Herald

While Gorbea said the spirit of Election Day was the same in many ways to past elections, it was also “very different because we are in a pandemic.” Ensuring that there was sufficient personal protective equipment, plexiglass and surface sanitization was essential in protecting the safety of poll workers and in-person voters, Gorbea said. 

Like many states across the country, Rhode Island also sent all registered voters mail ballot applications in an aim to increase accessibility and provide voters with a way to cast their ballots from home, Gorbea said.

Rhode Island passed legislation over the summer that incorporates early in-person voting into all future elections in the state. 

The Ocean State also offered same-day voter registration, allowing voters who had forgotten to register the opportunity to vote for president and vice president, but not for other candidates. 

“If you think about it, if you live in Warwick or Providence or Westerly, we all are voting for president, so having the same-day voter registration for president and vice president makes a lot of sense,” Gorbea said. “There are not a lot of states that have same-day voter registration for presidential and vice presidential only, and I think more states should.”

All of these measures were intended to protect the health of voters and poll workers while giving Rhode Islanders multiple ways to cast their vote, Gorbea said. “We had to adjust to making sure that we made voting convenient, safe and secure in a way that … ensured that people could exercise their constitutional right to vote,” she said, “but in doing so, didn’t have to sacrifice their health.”

Gorbea described the measures implemented in the Nov. 3 election in Rhode Island as voter-centric. “It’s the right thing to do. Our democracy is nurtured by the votes that are cast and the voices that are heard through those votes,” she said. “Having a diversity of perspectives, opinions and backgrounds … is good for our democracy in the long run.”

1. Steve Erickson says:

You are apparently unaware that the Secretary of State does not run elections. The Board of Elections runs the election. You seem infatuated with the SOS, completely ignoring the fact that the BOE staff and legal counsel did all the work. The Board wrote the regs that allowed curing. The Board developed the protocols and got the equipment that allowed fast certification. The Board developed the process for secure transmission of results. The board oversaw all the local canvassers. The SOS could do photo ops on election day because she literally had nothing to do. Perhaps you could try to be a little more balanced, and actually learn how elections run (and have more than one source for an article, really). I would be glad to explain what is wrong with this article if you wish.

2. Stephen P Erickson says:

Oh, one other thing. That “early voting law”? It was a modification to the emergency mail ballot law proposed by the Board of Elections, and not early voting per se. The Secretary of State and Common Cause put a lot of pressure on the board to not introduce it, I personally took a lot of grief from them about it. They were both in an all or nothing mode, which would have been a disaster for election day,

3. Stephen P Erickson says:

And that same day registration? Federal only. Under FEDERAL LAW — HAVA. State has nothing to do with it. There is a state constitutional requirement that a person be a resident for thirty days before the election, only superseded by HAVA for federal offices. And it has been around for 18 years……. Pesky facts

4. Stephen P Erickson says:

Can’t seem to find my comments. Are they still available?

*