CIS upgrades cluster computers, prepares to tackle spam e-mail

Over the summer, Computing and Information Services installed new computers, scanners and printers in the existing computer clusters around campus, added new e-mail kiosks and expanded wireless access.

In the Rockefeller Library reference area, PCs running Windows were replaced with Dell Optiplex GX 270s with flat panel monitors, and eMacs were added to the library's clusters.

EMacs also replaced old iMacs in the CIT clusters. All of the new eMacs are equipped with the latest multimedia production software, including Final Cut Express and the iLife suite.

For Internet access on the run, two new kiosks have been added in T.F. Green Hall and the Bear's Lair.

With these additions, the University now has 220 cluster machines, according to Director of Personal Technology Services Kara Kelley.

CIS also expanded wireless networking access this summer from 15 to nearly 30 buildings, said Assistant Vice President of Academic and Network Systems and Services Alan Usas.

Wireless access now extends to all of the dining and café areas, as well as the 24-hour study spaces in New Pembroke 4 and the Lower Blue Room and lounges in Barbour Hall, Andrews House and Arnold Lounge in Keeney Quad, Usas said.

The University also moved to an updated version of its Exchange e-mail server this summer. Director of Systems and Services John Spadaro said the upgrade offers a faster, more secure Web client as well as added features such as mailbox rules and spell check.

According to Kelley, CIS has more computing changes scheduled for the upcoming semester. In October, color printing will be available in the Rockefeller and Science Libraries, and an additional computing kiosk will be installed later this semester.

Usas said CIS also hopes to improve its response to the overwhelming volume of spam e-mail the campus mail server receives and has set aside substantial funds to address this problem by the end of the year.

A complete map of wireless locations, kiosks and clusters can be found on the CIS Web site.

Herald staff writer Danielle Cerny '06 edits the Campus Watch section. She can be reached at herald@browndailyherald.com.