Big Green spoils m. soccer's Ivy title run

The men's soccer team (8-7-2, 5-0-2 Ivy League) competed against Dartmouth (5-0-2 Ivy) this weekend to defend its Ivy title and receive an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Unfortunately, the Bears were unable to come away with a win - they fell to the Big Green 2-1.

As of last week, Brown, Princeton and Dartmouth were all in the running for the championship. Dartmouth had already captured at least a share of the Ivy title last weekend with a 1-0 win over Cornell. On Saturday afternoon, Princeton lost to Yale, 4-2, giving Brown a shot at beating Dartmouth and sharing the Ivy title. A Dartmouth win would grant the Big Green sole possession of the title and an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

The cold weather and slippery conditions affected the Bears' play this weekend. From the beginning of the game, Brown appeared sluggish and could not use its speed on the slippery ground. The effect of the weather could be seen in the scrambled offensive play and disorganized scoring opportunities as both teams struggled to find their footing.

"Dartmouth plays a muddled attack, and often it is their offensive style to play scrambled in front of the net," said Head Coach Mike Noonan.

Twenty minutes into the game, Brown was already down by two. Both Dartmouth goals were scored off chaotic play in front of the net. The Big Green's first goal came only nine minutes into the game, when a ball was sent past goalkeeper Chris Gomez '05, who stepped out of the net in an attempt to smother a loose ball.

The second goal was scored soon after, off a rebound. A Brown defender blocked an initial shot that was then volleyed toward a crowded box, after which a deflection off a Brown defender redirected the ball to the top left corner of the goal.

Despite the two early goals, Gomez played solidly and finished with five saves.

"It was just one of those games where things don't go your way," said Andrew Daniels '07. "All of their goals were scored when the ball bounced their way."

Brown was able to recoup after Dartmouth's two messy goals, but when the whistle blew, the Bears had not overcome the two-goal deficit. Brown cut Dartmouth's lead down to one in the 36th minute of play in the first half. Marcos Romaneiro '05 sent a ball to Ben Brackett '07, who scored off his own rebound. The goal was Brackett's second of the season. Romaneiro, who leads the league in assists, tallied his ninth of the season.

"Our team responded well to Dartmouth's goals and played with intensity. The referee could have made better calls, but our players played well," Noonan said. "It's a disappointing result and I wish our season lasted longer, but what can you do?"

The pace of the game changed after the Bears scored, as Brown dominated the Big Green for the remainder of the first half and the entire second half. The corner kick differential by half clearly showed the change in momentum: Dartmouth led corner kicks 9-3 in the first half, while Brown came back to lead corner kicks 10-1 in the second half. The Bears pressured Dartmouth's defense with their steady ball control and did not allow a shot on their own goal during the entire second half. Although the Bears controlled the ball on offense and had some strong scoring opportunities, they were not able to capitalize on their shots and even the score.

"Our attack was playing well and we were pressuring them with everything we had," Daniels said. "It just seemed like we weren't going to score. We couldn't get through their defense and put the ball in the net. We had lots of corner kicks and many balls sent in from the wings, but we couldn't capitalize on our shots."

After winning the Ivy title seven of the past 11 years, Brown has established a reputation for fielding strong teams. On the other hand, Dartmouth has had a rollercoaster ride the past three years in Ivy League competition, finishing first in the Ivy League in 2002, last in 2003 and first again this year.

"Dartmouth's success this year stemmed from a change in personnel and fewer injuries. This season our personnel changed as well - we lost a player who usually capitalized on attack. We had many chances to score this year but often couldn't put ball in the net," Noonan said.

The game was the last for seniors Gomez, Romaneiro and captain Jeff Larentowicz '07. Gomez, regarded by many as the best goalie in the Ivy League, if not the Northeast, leaves behind a legacy. Having started 40 games prior to his senior year, Gomez has earned numerous accolades, including First-Team All-Ivy in 2003. Romaneiro led the team in scoring and carried the team in its 3-2 win over Columbia earlier this year. Larentowicz has had his share of special moments as well - he scored the game-winner in overtime against Hartwick College and was named All-Tournament MVP of the Yale Classic.