Key injuries unable to keep w. ice hockey out of win column

The women's ice hockey team picked up two wins at home this weekend, despite injuries to three key players in the past week. On Friday, the Bears handily beat Cornell 4-1, and they continued their dominant play on Saturday with a 2-0 victory against Colgate University.

Injuries to three veteran starters will pose some challenges for the Bears. In the season opener at the University of Maine, forward Margaret Ramsay '06 punctured a tendon in her leg on the point of a skate blade, putting her on the injured list for at least a couple of months. Last Friday against Cornell, defenseman Ashlee Drover '06 left the ice early in the second period with a separated shoulder. To top it off, in the third period of Saturday's game against Colgate, Jessica Link '05, the Bears' top scorer last season, suffered a high ankle sprain.

Though Drover and Link will likely be able to play again in a few weeks, the injuries will force some changes in the team's game, according to Head Coach Digit Murphy.

With Ramsay, Drover and Link out of the lineup for now, some of the younger Bears will get playing time and experience sooner than expected. For example, with Drover's absence from the blue line, defenders Lauren Deeb '07 and Ann Brophy '07 are seeing more ice time on pairings with the team's stalwarts.

"We're going to make the best of it. Injuries make a team better, because you have to play up to a higher level," Murphy said.

Murphy intends to put more emphasis on what she calls executing the team concept. While this has been a focus of Brown's game for a few years, according to Murphy, it is especially vital when some of those star players are injured.

Another change, says Murphy, may be a return to the Bears' previous dump-and-chase system, as opposed to her recent edict of more puck control. Murphy also expects a continued emphasis on the strong Brown defense.

The loss of Ramsay, Drover and Link did not stop the Bears from beating their opponents decisively in both weekend matches. Bruno was dominant in a scrappy game against Cornell on Friday and held a strong shot advantage, 35-11. Brown's special teams did not disappoint, as three of the four Bruno goals came on the power play. The penalty-killing unit, though rarely called upon, was also strong and even had several shots on Cornell.

Krissy McManus '05 had a part in all three power play goals, with one goal and two assists for the night. The other Brown goals were scored by McManus' linemate Keaton Zucker '06, Myria Heinhuis '06 and Hayley Moore '08. Goalie Marie-Pier Desbiens '07 made 10 saves for the win.

Colgate was a more difficult opponent, but the Bears triumphed 2-0 in a fast-paced and physical match-up. McManus scored another power play goal in the first period, and Kerry Nugent '05 connected on a slap shot in the third, assisted by co-captain Katie Guay '05.

"We're just hanging around the net," said McManus about the number of goals that came on the man advantage. "We were hungry for them. We knew we had to get two wins (this weekend)."

In a game filled with penalties, both teams had many offensive chances, but Brown's goalie combination of O'Hara Shipe '08 and Stacy Silverman '08 secured the shutout. As was the case last weekend, and will probably be the case next weekend, all three goalies shared playing time.

The first line of McManus, Link and Zucker contributed significantly to both wins. Between them, they have scored five of Brown's 10 goals this season, and they should continue to perform well if Link recovers soon. Other contributing players include three rookie forwards who are getting a substantial amount of ice time: Moore, Christine Holdredge '08 and Heather Lane '08 have played in all four of this season's games.

The Bears are away next weekend, with two important league games against Princeton and Yale.