Increased first-year drinking, but no policy change

University officials confirmed that the University's alcohol enforcement policy has not changed in the wake of several rumored instances of excessive drinking among first-years during orientation.

An e-mail sent to the student body by Interim Senior Associate Dean of Student Life Robert Samuels warned all Brown students that there would be serious consequences for violations of Rhode Island state law that "may significantly impact your time at Brown."

"We like to remind students of the general expectations" about alcohol use, Samuels said last week, adding, "people had forgotten over the summer."

University policy treads a thin line between reducing underage drinking and ensuring that students are not afraid to seek help when a peer becomes overly intoxicated, according to University officials.

First-years may have engaged in more underage drinking this year than last, "based on call volume," according to Senior EMT Felicitee Kertis '06.

The Greek council is reexamining how its members comply with University policies regarding underage drinking, said Chairman Meghan Gill '06. Greek organizations' Class F parties often attract first-years.

"We want to provide a safe social scene at Brown," Gill said, "especially this time of year when there are a lot of new drinkers on campus."

Presidents of the Greek houses and administrators met earlier this week at the faculty club, Gill said. Samuels emphasized the University's desire to work with groups instead of punishing them. "For the most part the organizations are trying to adhere to the alcohol policy," he said.