Must-see sports for Brown fans

Ben Miller: The Champagne of Columns

Brown is an exciting school to attend. Every weekend there are countless fun and entertaining activities. Yet all too often, athletic contests fall by the wayside, taking a backseat to more popular events such as plays, musical performances and all manners of debauchery. The reasons for this are varied and irrelevant, but the situation does not have to stay that way.

Today's section is dedicated to providing not only first-years, but also returning Brunonians with an opportunity to learn about upcoming sporting events and players to watch for. In an attempt to round out the picture of what athletics at Brown is like, here's a list of nine things about Brown athletics that any student should see or do at least once in their time here. In no specific order:

1) Go to the adidas-Brown classic: In 2003, the men's soccer team took on Stanford, NCAA finalists from the year before, on the first night of the tournament. In front of a packed crowd, the Bears downed the Cardinal, 2-1. It was a perfect early fall night and the excitement and emotion were unlike anything I had ever seen before at a Brown sporting event. And if that were not enough, there is a free barbecue beforehand complete with music and prizes from WBRU.

2) A Jill Mansfield '07 throw-in: Mansfield plays for the women's soccer team, but given her acrobatic throw-ins, she easily could be a member of the gymnastics squad as well. Instead of utilizing the typical over-the-head motion that all of us learned in elementary school gym class, Mansfield completes a forward roll prior to the throw, using her body as a catapult, allowing her to slingshot the ball far into the field of play. Think corner kick, but from the sideline.

3) Nick Hartigan '06 running the ball: Punishing. That is the first word that comes to mind when describing the style of Brown's elite running back. Hartigan levels opponents when he touches the ball. His 35-40 carries a game often leave an opposing defense bruised and battered. Although he is not as swift as other rushers, Hartigan is able to break consistently long gains by decimating anything and anyone in his path.

4) Watch a defending Ivy Champion: The men's tennis team went undefeated in Ivy play last season, clinching the team's second league title in four years. Although the squad lost two of its top players in co-captains Adil Shamasdin '05 and Nick Goldberg '05, they do return a solid core of players, including All-American Phil Charm '06. They should enter the preseason national rankings higher than ever before in the program's history.

5) Raise the roof: Although you may not see it from ground level, there is a field on top of the Olney-Margolies Athletic Center. Decked out in a carpet that should conjure up fond memories of the Hubert Humphrey Metrodome, the Warner Roof field is home to another exciting young Brown team. After enduring a tumultuous 5-11 season last year, the field hockey team seems primed for a breakout year, returning 10 starters and 18 letterwinners. The results are already encouraging, as the Bears won their season-opener with a 2-1, overtime victory against Vermont.

6) Don't like the cold? The action is red hot indoors: While most fall sports are outside, a couple clubs compete in nicely heated venues. The volleyball team has been steadily improving and could be a threat in the Ivy League this year. The same is true for men's water polo, which improved from sixth to third in the Northern Division last year, earning a berth in the Eastern Championship Tournament.

7) Support Your Local Hooker: The varsity teams are not the only squads competing in the fall. Men's and women's club rugby teams have home games on the field across the street from Brown Stadium. It's a great sport to watch, even if you know nothing about it. The game is fast-paced, full of brutal hits without pads, and given past competitors from other schools, such as George W. Bush, you may get an opportunity to see a future president get decked.

8) Load up on the freebies: Over the past two years I've gotten four free t-shirts, mini soccer and basketballs, plastic cups and countless other knick-knacks that now decorate my dorm room. If you are really lucky you'll pick up a pair of thunder-stix, perfect for getting back at that annoying roommate who makes too much noise. As a college student, so many free items are just too good to pass up and you get to see some great sports at the same time.

And most important of all:

9) Go, Be Loud and Be Proud: It seems that there is little today that a Brown student does not have an opinion on. Yet, when it comes to sports, apathy rules the day. For whatever reason, there is an alarming lack of school spirit on campus. All too often the few spectators at athletic events are either parents or members of other teams who have come out to show their support.

That's why I offer this last piece of advice mainly to first-years, but also to everyone else in the Brown community. Go to these games. It's a great opportunity to be loud and cheer for your school. As a former high school athlete, believe me when I say that showing up and making noise for your team can mean a lot. It's time to turn Brown into a place where other schools hate coming because of how great the fans are.

Sports editor Ben Miller loves freebies, but he does not wear his "Built for Success" Brown football helmet around campus anymore.