Another new Brown.edu slated for late Nov. launch

Brown.edu is being redesigned - again.

When the new Web site launches in late November, it will be the third major redesign it has undergone in just over four years, according to Internet archives. It was last overhauled in May 2004.

With the redesign, the University hopes to create "a more effective communications tool that combines functionality and good design," said Michael Chapman, vice president for public affairs and University relations. Chapman said he hopes the redesign will make Brown's Web site stand out from those of its peers.

The Web site has to cater to a large audience, including current and prospective students, faculty, alums and the news media, Chapman said. He said the goal of the Web site is to "appeal to a large audience and reinforce Brown's image as a serious research university."

The changes will be most apparent in the style and structure of the site. For example, Chapman said, there will be better use of photography and Brown's school colors.

Mark Nickel, director of the Brown News Service, said the new format will be "a way of providing a lot more content" on the home page without overwhelming the user.

Chapman said the University tried to engage as many people as possible in the redesign process, convening focus groups and taking suggestions from advisory groups composed of faculty, staff and students. Most likely, student testing of the new site will be completed before it is launched.

Related sites, such as those of the Admission Office, the alumni association and academic departments, are independently maintained and will not be changed, although they do have the option of using new design templates provided by the Office of Public Affairs and University Relations.

Leah Duran '06, who said she mostly uses the University's main Web site "to get to the library's Web site ... and sometimes A-Z," said she doesn't think the current site is very well organized.

Although Chapman said the content of the new site will be similar to the old one, he said it should be much "easier to navigate, in a more engaging way." Most evident will be the changes on the home page and the directory pages.

Afreen Akhter '06, who goes to the site every day, said she doesn't care about the science and technology news that is usually the focus of the home page. Jacob Schuman '08 said he likes "to see the University news" on the site, but that it could be better. He also remembers looking at the site before he came to Brown and said it has improved since then.

Tara Schuster '08, meanwhile, criticized the Web site's search feature. But according to Scott Turner, director of Web communications, the search engine was changed a month ago and is now powered by Google, which allows it to work more efficiently.