Bad weekend for equestrian drops team out of first place in zone one

The equestrian team finished a disappointing third in Satur-day's show hosted by the University of Connecticut. The Huskies' win stole the top spot in the region from Brown, and they took a seven-point lead as they defeated the Bears for the first time this fall. Bruno's riders struggled to adjust to UConn's different breed of horses and the large number of riders in each class, scoring only 29 points to UConn's 49. Despite the disheartening team placing, the meet was not without its bright spots for the Bears, who earned three first-place individual finishes.

The show began with the open flat competition instead of the usual open fences. Marissa Geoffroy '07 took advantage of the format change and placed first in the open flat competition. Tri-captain Alexis Gilbard '06 snagged the third position in the same event. Point rider and tri-captain Jamie Peddy '06 and Whitney Keefe '08 rode to fifth-place finishes in separate classes, while Jessica Mendelson '07 took the sixth spot.

In the intermediate flat competition, point rider Rachel Roemer '06 scored five points with her second-place finish. Also finishing second for the Bears was senior Ariana Arcenas '06.

Arcenas felt the team performed well, but riding UConn's horses proved challenging.

"We had a little bad luck, and the horses were very different from what we usually ride, but people did really well," she said.

Bruno dominated the novice division, led by a top finish from Courtney Pope '07. Point rider Kim Mickenberg '07 followed closely in second place. Katherine Goetz '08, Mallory Kass '06 and Emma Clippinger '09 made their way into the placing by taking the fourth, fifth and sixth positions.

In the walk trot cantor section, point rider Jenny John '06, Rosie Bogan '08 and Hayley Goldbach '09 each captured sixth-place finishes in different classes.

Lucia Corso '08 placed second in the walk trot division, while point rider Sarah Morris '08 took the third position.

The Bears started strong in the second half of the show, as Peddy claimed the top spot in the open fences competition. Both point rider Keefe and Gilbard pinned second in their respective classes.

The momentum carried into the Intermediate division, as Roemer snagged the second position. Arcenas followed close behind in fourth place.

Dana Liljegren '06 turned in an outstanding performance and placed first in novice fences. It was Liljegren's first time showing over fences. Kass rounded out the placing with third.

The Bears will return to action Nov. 12, traveling to Wesleyan University. The show will give the team a shot at reclaiming the overall points lead in the region from rival UConn.

"It will definitely be an important meet for us," Arcenas said. "We will see all of the teams in our region."