Equestrian opens season with first place finish in URI show

On Saturday morning, the equestrian team kicked off its season at the University of Rhode Island in fine fashion by defeating several of its Zone 2 rivals. The team was only able to amass 33 of a possible 49 points, but thanks to terrific riding by non-scoring competitors, the team was able to stave off the stiff competition delivered by Johnson and Wales University, which was two points back in second, and the University of Connecticut, which had 29 points in third.

"The non-scorers blocked well, so it was a very defensive win for us," said tri-captain Alexis Gilbard '06.

Although the point total was lower than a usual winning score for the Bears, the team members were happy. The Bears' victory was particularly encouraging given that only a small squad of returning riders participated this weekend, as the NCAA has not yet cleared the new team members for competition. As the only varsity equestrian team in the region, Brown was the only team at the meet dealing with that problem.

"I was really pleased with our performance. It didn't look like a first show," Gilbard said.

Marissa Geoffroy '07 turned in the most impressive accomplishment of the day, garnering first-place honors in both the intermediate flat and fences classes, as well as the distinction of being the reserve high-point rider. This meet was her last at the intermediate level, as Geoffroy has now accumulated enough points to move into the highest category - the open division - in both the flats and fences.

"I just wanted to end (my time competing in intermediate) on a good note," Geoffroy said.

Also helping Bruno claim the victory was co-captain Grace Peloquin '07, who placed second in the fences heat. She had the misfortune of drawing a difficult horse, but was able to control it well enough to receive a solid judging. "It wasn't a great ride - my horse was tough - but it went alright," Peloquin said.

The highest ranked performer in Zone 2 last year, co-captain Jamie Peddy '06, found herself in a similarly difficult situation when she drew an even more challenging horse, but she was still able to manage a third-place finish in open fences.

"She drew the toughest horse ... and her round was very rough, but it was obvious that she was asking for the right things," Gilbard said. "And although she was not happy, she was judged well for her effort."

At each venue, riders are assigned a horse not long before their heat is scheduled to start. Being able to control a difficult horse is much of the battle that riders have to face. To be successful, riders must be able to make the minor adjustments necessary to keep the horse moving smoothly.

Brown's other open-level competitors fared well. Whitney Keefe '08 had an impressive opening show, winning the open fences and placing third in the open flat. Gilbard added a second-place finish in the open flat for good measure.

Amy Cameron '08, who rode in the novice class flats, and Katie Goetz '08, who competed in the Advanced Walk Trot Cantor class flats, also won their divisions.

Brown's next show will be on Oct. 15 at Teikyo Post in Waterbury, Conn., and will feature a full squad.

"The next competition is a transitional one - it will be a whole new team," Gilbard said.