Wrens concert moved from Sayles following weekend's events

A concert by indie-rock band The Wrens scheduled to take place in Sayles Hall Friday night has been moved to Alumnae Hall as part of a larger effort to move "rowdy" events out of the historic building, representatives of the Brown Concert Agency said Wednesday.

The locations of other University events scheduled for Friday have also changed. The East Asian Cultural Show has been moved from Andrews Hall to Sayles Hall, and a party sponsored by El Concilio Latino has been moved from Alumnae Hall to Andrews Hall, according to BCA President Elizabeth Trongone '06.

Weekend event organizers met Wednesday with Student Activities Director Ricky Gresh and Captain Emil Fioravanti of the Department of Public Safety to work out the changes, Trongone said.

The shuffle comes less than a week after Vice President for Campus Life and Student Services David Greene wrote in an e-mail to undergraduates that University policies concerning student-sponsored parties and events would be reconsidered in light of last weekend's "troubling incidents." Sex Power God, an annual party sponsored by the Queer Alliance, was held in Sayles Hall Saturday night. The party led to a record number of students requiring emergency medical attention and landed the University in the national spotlight when it was featured on "The O'Reilly Factor" Monday night.

Trongone said student leaders were told that no parties will be held in Sayles Hall in the foreseeable future.

University officials "hinted at the fact that it will be semi-permanent," she said. "They need to firm up a definition of what a 'party' is, but it seems like nothing that could potentially get rowdy will be allowed in Sayles, at the very least until the end of the semester."

BCA Chair Joe Posner '07 said posters and table slips for the concert would be edited and distributed around campus today.