U. assistance helping to rebuild Dillard

Brown & Katrina: Fourth in a series.
The University's relief aid has been instrumental in the re-construction efforts of Dillard University, a New Orleans school ravaged by Hurricane Katrina, accor-ding to Dillard President Marvalene Hughes.

Although Dillard's campus is not completely restored and the student body has not returned in its entirety, academics as well as certain aspects of campus life have resumed, thanks in part to assistance from Brown. With the help of a $5 million fund donated by Sidney Frank '42, the University enrolled displaced students from the affected areas this past semester and is also engaged in a partnership with Princeton University to assist the reconstruction of Dillard, a historically black university and alma mater of University President Ruth Simmons.

Operating out of a Hilton Hotel in New Orleans, faculty, staff, administrators and nearly 1,000 students have cultivated a community despite hardships caused by the hurricane damage, Hughes said, adding that assistance provided by Brown and Princeton has been particularly helpful during this period of rebuilding.

Brown has primarily offered consulting services for Dillard, Hughes said. "The partnership with Dillard has essentially resulted in members of the Brown University community serving as consultants to us in any capacity needed and walking side-by-side with us in stages of difficult decision-making."

Dick Spies, executive vice president for planning and senior advisor to the president, described the partnership in similar terms. "The basic role is to provide whatever advice and support for them as we can as they work their way through the challenges over rebuilding and reopening the university," he said.

Yet, the University's role is not limited to mere consultation, Hughes said. "It has been a very active network that has resulted in some very specific details," Hughes said, adding that Brown administrators and staff members are assisting in on-site analysis of the destruction caused by the hurricane as well as assisting in fundraising efforts.

Hughes said Dillard faculty and staff have utilized the expertise of Brown staff members through e-mail and telephone conversations and visits to both campuses.

Spies said Brown will not provide financial support for Dillard and stressed "that was never the idea." However, he said that part of the Sidney Frank Renewal Scholarships provides financial assistance to Dillard students. A December Boston Globe article reported that Frank's donation would provide up to 200 Dilliard students with scholarships.

"Part of the challenge of this is that they have so much to do to take each small step forward. We can help them do some of that by asking the right questions, by giving them some advice on those things," Spies said.

Hughes said Geri Augusto, University coordinator of Katrina hurricane relief efforts, has visited Dillard to conduct extensive interviews with administrators, faculty and students to understand how Dillard operates and to determine how Brown can best aid its rebuilding process. "I'm truly looking forward to the model she will return to us," Hughes said.

Augusto declined to comment for this article.

Hughes spoke highly of Simmons' commitment to Dillard. "If there is any such thing as a true mentor who has become a friend whom I trust and would reveal any issue or question to, it is Ruth Simmons," she said. "I trust her implicitly and explicitly. She loves Dillard. She knows Dillard. And she wants me to be successful in bringing it back."