Class of 2010 acceptance rate lowest in University history

Brown accepted a record low 13.8 percent of applicants this year out of an all-time high 18,313 applications. This is the "lowest rate in the history of the institution," said Dean of Admission Jim Miller '73. Brown's acceptance rate last year was 14.6 percent.

Of the 2,525 students admitted to Brown's class of 2010, 39 percent are students of color, which is the highest proportion ever.

Geographically, there were "no significant shifts" among accepted students, Miller said. Students were admitted from every state but North Dakota and 62 foreign countries, up from 58 last year. The proportion of international students admitted stayed relatively stable, though Miller said Brown had a "very good year in Singapore" as well as in Asia generally.

94 percent of applicants were in the top 10 percent of their high school class. The most popular intended major is engineering. 59 percent of admitted students come from public high schools, 40 percent come from private schools and 8 percent come from parochial schools.

Miller said the University admitted slightly fewer early decision applicants than last year. The early admission round was a "little conservative" because of high expectations for the regular applicant pool, which were met, Miller said.

Harvard's acceptance rate rose by 0.1 percent this year to 9.3 percent. Yale's acceptance rate of 8.6 percent out of 21,099 applications set a new Ivy record low.