Gillis '07 and Townsend '08 to debate today

Runoff for UCS president lasts until Friday night

During its last general body meeting of the semester, the Undergraduate Council of Students confirmed details regarding the runoff election for UCS president - which pits John Gillis '07 against Zachary Townsend '08 - and heard an update on changes to the meal plan.

The runoff election between Gillis and Townsend will begin at 10 a.m. Thursday and end at 10 p.m. on Friday. After the meeting, Kate Brockwehl '08, chair of the UCS Election Board, told The Herald the two candidates have decided to host a debate and question-and-answer session. The moderated event - scheduled to run today from 12:15 p.m. to 12:45 p.m. on the steps of Faunce House - will allow students to ask questions and voice concerns before the elections end Friday, Brockwehl said.

Sara Gentile '09, chair of the Student Activities Committee, and Deanna Chaukos '08, chair of the Campus Life Committee, briefed the council on recently approved changes to Brown's meal plan options that will be in place next year. The current meal plan - which allows students to choose among weekly options ranging from seven to 20 meals each week - will remain intact, but the concept of "block plans" will be added as an additional option. Students opting for a "block plan" will receive slightly fewer meals and more flex points. The "block plans" will remain consistent with the prices of existing meal plans.

The most expensive block will offer 460 meals - which works out to roughly 14 meals each week - and 500 flex points for the academic year. Other options include purchasing 330 meals and 350 points or 240 meals and 250 points. Along with more flex points, the "block plan" also includes more guest credits. For example, the block that offers 460 meals each year will also include 10 guest credits.

Dining Services is currently working on a potential meal plan for students living off campus or who are off the standard meal plan that would provide 25 meals per semester along with 400 flex points. Such a plan represents an attempt to encourage these students to stay on the meal plan, even if they do not regularly eat in dining halls, Chaukos said.

Chaukos also said UCS members are also working with Dining Services to "get the word out" about these added options and clarify both new and old meal plan options.

"Many students are still unsure about how the meal plan we have now works," she said.

Following the presentation on meal plans, Gentile brought up a new student group that refers to itself as "Sex Power God Group." This group's purpose is to "explore the ideology of Sex Power God and attempt to have more courses offered on the expressions of sex as well as attempt to bring speakers to Brown," Gentile said.

Though the group's purpose and goals were well-received by UCS members, the group's name - which directly references Queer Alliance's annual party in the fall - has sparked protest from QA members and led to a debate on whether to formally constitute the group. The council delayed making a formal decision regarding the group's status, and members agreed the issue will be resolved at a later date.