Brown and RISD plan joint-degree program

A committee of administrators and faculty from Brown and the Rhode Island School of Design is in the process of devising a formal proposal for a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Fine Arts program that will, if approved, allow students in the class of 2013 to pursue a joint degree at the two schools.

Though the details of such a program are not yet outlined, the original idea emerged five years ago, when Gamaal Wilson '06.5, now in his 11th semester at the University, approached Richard Fishman, professor of visual art and chair of the department, about pursuing a joint degree.

"I suggested that he write a proposal to the dean of the College, who was, at the time, Paul Armstrong," Fishman said.

Wilson spoke to Armstrong during his first year at Brown, and Armstrong granted him permission to pursue a joint degree. After taking summer courses at RISD during his first two years, he attended a RISD summer program and, after applying as a transfer student, matriculated full-time there for his junior and senior years to complete requirements for a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree. He then returned to Brown for his fifth year at Brown and is completing his Bachelor of Arts degree this semester. He will receive both degrees in December.

Wilson's experience has led to more interest about formalizing such an academic track, and a committee to discuss the possibility of a joint-degree program was created last spring. The committee includes administration and faculty from both schools, including Associate Dean of the College Steve Cornish, Deputy Provost Vincent Tompkins '84, Fishman and Rosanne Somerson, RISD's interim associate provost for academic afffairs.

"We are currently soliciting faculty input," Tompkins said. "Strong faculty support is a critical element in the creation of this program."

Fishman said he believes there is a strong interest from both campuses. "We are at a point now where the program is something both RISD and Brown faculty are passionate about," he said.

Fishman said committee members hope to have a concrete proposal by the spring of 2007.

Wilson said he hopes other students will be able to pursue a joint degree in future years, adding that a formal program could benefit both Brown and RISD.

"It is a great opportunity for prospective students," he said. "I think it will attract students from other art schools and I hope it develops into one of the country's premier art programs."

Tompkins echoed Wilson's view.

"If implemented, the program will draw interest to Brown and RISD on a national level," he said. "Brown and RISD are working very hard to create strong alliances and cooperation, and this may be the most meaningful long-term collaboration yet."