ResCouncil requires program and Greek houses to appoint liaison to independents

Residential Council implemented a policy at the beginning of this semester requiring program and Greek houses to appoint liaisons to increase interaction with independent residents - students who are unaffiliated with program or Greek houses but live alongside them in residence halls. The policy aims to improve communication and more efficiently resolve issues between program houses and independents.

Liaisons must hold leadership positions in program or Greek houses and are responsible for addressing any problems or concerns independents may have. They are required to introduce themselves to all independents at the beginning of the academic year.

There are 20 total program and Greek houses on campus, according to a document provided by Michael Morgenstern '08, chair of ResCouncil's Program House Committee. All these houses except Buxton International House have independents living in their buildings. The 353 independent residents on Wriston Quadrangle and in King and Machado houses represent 5 percent of the undergraduate student body.

"Independents always have issues and often they leave them unresolved until the end of the year," Morgenstern said. "While knocking on 30 doors to introduce yourself may not be pleasant, it helps create better relationships between the residents of the house."

Morgenstern said there have been mixed responses to the policy change. "There are some houses taking it more seriously than others," he said, "and those houses have had better interactions with their independents."

Stephen Cellucci '08, who is president of Art House and the house's appointed liaison, said he thinks the policy change was a good idea. "Independents should feel comfortable speaking directly to a member of the program house in their dorm, especially for the purpose of voicing complaints that concern the house," he said. "The liaison position is a good way to encourage that comfort level."

According to Morgenstern, program and Greek houses typically "have the impression that independents would approach house presidents if they have any issues, but the problem is that sometimes independents don't know whom to contact."

Cellucci said he has had friendly conversations with some independents and thinks the policy change has had a slightly positive impact on Art House, which is located in Harkness Hall.

Melissa Kline '08, president of Interfaith House, also had positive things to say about the change. "The policy change means a small extra effort on our part, but it means there's another avenue for independents to communicate with the group they live with," she said.

However, an independent resident of Goddard House who spoke on condition of anonymity said he has had minimal contact with the liaisons for his building. Alpha Delta Phi and Delta Phi are both located in Goddard.

ResCouncil sent out an e-mail to independents early this semester informing them of steps they should take to address any problems. The first step is to talk to the independent liaison of the appropriate program or Greek house so any problems can be resolved directly and without outside help from the Office of Residential Life. If that fails, independents should contact the Community Assistant in the building. If the problem is still unresolved, Morgenstern said independents should contact him so he can address the issue with program house leaders and note it during ResCouncil's review of program and Greek houses. Independents can contact ResLife or the Department of Public Safety if they still have concerns after completing this step.

For the most part, there have been no major issues involving independents and program houses, Morgenstern said. Matthew Dennis '09, president of Delta Tau and the fraternity's appointed liaison, said "the policy has not affected us in any direct way," though he noted he would have preferred to have been notified of the policy change "before going into the school year."

Neither Cellucci nor Kline said they had received any serious complaints from independents.

Members of ResCouncil are still considering additional initiatives to improve relations between independents and program and Greek houses. "Positive interactions with program houses makes a difference," Morgenstern said. "And we want to make the living experience for independents as enjoyable as possible."