Student-faculty committee will flesh out int'l efforts

Members of the new advisory committee on internationalization, which is set to have its first meeting today, say they want to see improvement in Brown's reputation, its relations with institutions abroad and financial aid for international students.

Earlier this month Provost David Kertzer '69 P'95 P'98 appointed the committee, which is composed of faculty and students and is set to meet three times before the end of the semester. The committee, headed by Kertzer, is responsible for advising the provost on strategic initiatives that will help expand the international visibility and prominence of the University and assist in the search for a vice president of international affairs.

According to a document outlining the committee's charge provided by Kertzer, Brown is committed over the next several years to significantly strengthening the international component of its educational and research programs. "The president said in a meeting last spring that the University needs to be doing more internationally," Kertzer said. "This is part of a larger movement in American universities."

The underlying purpose of the effort is to ensure that students are adequately prepared for lives and careers in an increasingly globalized world, that the University is positioned to compete in the international arena for students and faculty and that the University is contributing in major ways to the solution of significant global problems, Kertzer said.

"When the intention to create a committee was first announced, we received an avalanche of e-mails from faculty and students expressing interest," Kertzer said. "We now have an incredibly diverse committee with different backgrounds and expertise who can bring much to the table." The committee is made up of 15 faculty members from various departments, two undergraduate students, a graduate student and a medical student.

"In this environment that is so global in everything that matters, we need to make sure the University has an international aspect," said Richard Spies, executive vice president for planning and senior advisor to the president. "I hope the committee will identify things to do in the next five to 10 years that will make internationalization a reality."

Guy Bloembergen '09, the youngest member of the committee, said he applied to be on the committee because he believes there is much work to be done on internationalization efforts. "From how we recruit to how we can make Brown even more diverse, I wanted a say in what's happening," he said.

Daniel Fombonne '07 applied for the same reasons. "I was in Europe last year and realized that Brown isn't as well known as other American institutions are," he said. "As an amazing school, it should be, and this committee could potentially help make that difference."

Spies agreed that there are a number of areas Brown can work on to become more international, including financial aid for international students, Brown's formal contacts with institutions abroad and its reputation. "The goal is not just to have a presence in the international community, but to be a leader," he said. "It is not just making our name known, but making our name known for the right things - for educating students, for outstanding research and for presenting ideas to solve problems."

Bloembergen said he is also concerned about the University's recognition abroad. "Even though it's an Ivy League school, many foreigners aren't as aware of it as they are of other colleges like Harvard, Princeton, Oxford and Cambridge," he said. "This is one reason why Brown is not attracting the greatest minds from abroad, and I hope the committee will focus on recruiting foreign students."

Bloembergen also said he hopes the committee will address issues of financial aid. "Going need-blind (for international students) would encourage many talented students to apply - students that would not have even considered Brown because of the lack of aid," he said.

Fombonne wants the committee to also address certain areas of study that relate to international studies. "It would be nice to increase resources and faculty for particular departments, like the East Asian studies department," he said.

Kertzer said that in addition to improving departmental resources, the committee will aim to improve the University's relations with institutions abroad, which could increase the number of study abroad programs. "We don't have a program in China," he said, "yet it has one of the highest demands."

"Our contacts outside the United States have been primarily based on individual contacts," Spies said. "An increase in affiliations with institutions abroad would add value in a way that we don't have right now."

Bloembergen said he believes the time commitment to the committee will not be large in the beginning, as the committee is only set to meet three times before the end of this semester. "I also don't think this committee will be a short-term job," he said. "Becoming more international, building alumni networks abroad and recruiting students all take a significant amount of time."

Spies said he is confident that the committee, despite only having advisory power, will be successful. "It's a non-trivial time commitment," he said. "The potential value is great enough for all the members of the committee to donate their time to it. They believe, as they should, that their work will make a difference."