Students support internationalization efforts

More than 70 percent of students approve of President Ruth Simmons' intention to raise the University's international profile, according to a Herald poll conducted in late October and early November.

The poll, which was administered to 648 undergraduates and has a 3.8 percent margin of error, found that 70.7 percent of students strongly approve or somewhat approve of the initiative, while 5.9 percent of students somewhat disapprove or strongly disapprove. Nearly a quarter of students did not answer the question.

Provost David Kertzer '69 P'95 P'98 was responsible for creating a committee regarding issues of internationalization that had its first meeting earlier this month. Kertzer reacted positively to the poll results, saying that "it's nice to know that students and faculty are excited."

During its first meeting the committee addressed several specific initiatives already in place and looked into other initiatives that will support the University's broader goal of internationalization, including examining the possibility of increasing financial aid for international students and creating a post-doctoral program for international students in the humanities, Kertzer said. The committee's first major project is to appoint a vice president of international affairs.

In addition, "We're also looking into our study abroad program, looking into areas that aren't as well represented yet, and we're looking at more opportunities for learning foreign languages," Kertzer said. "We're looking for connections with other countries in the world."

Kertzer continued: "We want for students when they graduate to create an international network, to be able to get jobs and contacts abroad."

Brenda Allen, associate provost and director of institutional diversity, said the committee will bring new focus to the University's internationalization efforts.

"We need to define what we mean by internationalization in a globalized world and how to be a partner in this world," Allen said.

Guy Bloembergen '09 is one of two undergraduate students on the committee who Kertzer said will "serve as contact points to provide the committee with ideas."

Bloembergen echoed Kertzer's positive response to the poll results.

"I'm glad that the majority of the students are in favor of Simmons' efforts on internationalization," Bloembergen said. "I'm not all too surprised that the majority of students feels positively about it. Not only will promoting Brown abroad raise its prestige, but students will benefit from more international faculty and more diverse students."

Cici Matheny '09, an American citizen who lives in France, said she supports more financial aid for international students as well as increasing Brown's profile overseas. "I have friends who would have loved to go to school in the States and couldn't because of the lack of funding," Matheny said. "In other countries in the world, all people hear about are Harvard, Yale, MIT. ... They have a greater reputation but that doesn't mean that Brown's education is not as good."

Alexandra Ewenczyk '08, who is co-president of Brown International Organization, also said she is not surprised by the amount of support Brown students have for internationalization efforts, but she noted that she is "surprised by the high number of people who were ambivalent."

BRIO was founded in 1983 and, according to the Web site, is "a peer support group for foreign students who were unfamiliar with the many customs inherent to the university system in the United States, and for internationally minded American students."

Like Matheny, Ewenczyk said the University "is not very well-known (internationally)," adding that there is "a small percentage of international students who are mostly rich kids. ... We need to be more economically diverse."

Chloe Le Marchand '09 said international students bring an important element of diversity to the Brown community.

"Many of my classmates and suitemates are first-generation citizens, meaning one if not both of their parents are from another country and immigrated to the (United States)," Le Marchand said. "I feel like this diversity and exposure to other cultures is really a part of being a Brown student, and a greater international presence could only improve Brown."

Allen said University officials "need to focus on trying to recruit more broadly and provide financial aid to those who may be qualified but may not have the means to come here."

She noted, "We have a small financial aid budget so we can't be as selective. Economically these students may not have the means to come here, but they have so much to offer culturally."