Bear's Lair may become social space

In response to the recent report of the University's Ad Hoc Committee to Review Social Events Policy, the Bear's Lair in the Graduate Center and other areas may be renovated for use as social spaces.

The committee, which was created in November following hospitalizations and media coverage related to Sex Power God and a party the preceding night at which shots were fired, sought to evaluate social functions and related University policies. One of its major recommendations was to "identify and create additional social event space," according to the committee report, which was released earlier this month. Among other recommendations, the report called for more venues for smaller functions drawing between 75 to 100 or 150 to 250 people and suggested that historic spaces such as Sayles Hall not be used for certain events.

"The renovation of the Bear's Lair as a social space is the most likely and feasible change," said Kevin McDonald '08, a member of the Campus Life Committee of the Undergraduate Council of Students who is working on recommendations for proposed changes to the Bear's Lair.

Other spaces being considered for renovations are Andrews Dining Hall, the meeting room in the Inn at Brown and the Ivy Room, according to David Greene, vice president for campus life and student services. "The Bear's Lair has been considered as a good possible social space," Greene said. "Students already enjoy the space; I think there's a way to make better use of it."

Unlike proposed renovations to Faunce House, changes to the Bear's Lair and the other potential spaces will not create more common and lounge space. They will instead be focused on adding suitable venues for student parties.

The lounge adjacent to the exercise equipment, which contains a bar, is currently underused and would serve as an ideal party space, McDonald said. This area was formerly used for the Hourglass Café, which has since moved to the Underground in Faunce.

The changes required to turn the Bear's Lair into a social space would be minor, according to McDonald. The University would need to install grates to protect the exercise areas, but no other major renovations would be necessary.

McDonald said this space would be ideal because it is on campus and close to student residences. The University would likely rent out the area for use by fraternities and sororities, student groups and even students who "just want to throw a party," McDonald said.

None of the proposed renovations have been finalized, but McDonald said they could happen as soon as next fall.

McDonald explained these renovations are meant as part of an interim solution to meet students' current need for social space. "The renovations are not supposed to be a permanent solution by any means. I know that UCS Campus Life would like to see a total overhaul of the Bear's Lair and more social spaces," McDonald said. But larger changes, he added, will take more time.

As a result of a lack of social space on campus, the report stated that students are often forced to throw parties in their rooms, which are not big enough for large gatherings. The report also found that few spaces exist on campus for large-scale social events and suggested the University try to remedy this problem in the future planning and design of on-campus construction and renovation projects.

Other renovations to the Bear's Lair are being considered. These include aesthetic improvements and a re-organization of the space to expand its uses, according to UCS Campus Life Chair Deanna Chaukos '08. McDonald suggested that the exercise machines could be rearranged to make the games room more accessible. These possible changes are unrelated to attempts to turn the Bear's Lair into a party space.

Because these changes have not yet been determined, the cost is unknown and no money has been allocated.

Lauren Engel '08, who is president of the Brown Band and often studies in the Bear's Lair lounge, said she "would definitely be willing to use this area for party space if it were available."

"This is one of the few open spaces on campus. It's really nice," she added.

Owen Washburn '06, who works at the Bear's Lair gym, said he believes the space is currently underused.

"My friends come here to play pool sometimes, that's about it," he said.

Washburn would like to see renovations to the Bear's Lair. "The lighting could be different, anything which would make it seem less like a big cement block."

Both Engel and Washburn cited Grad Center and the campus's overall structure as problematic.

"This is a difficult campus to work with," Engel said, referring to the lack of adequate party space.

Washburn has similar concerns. "The underlying problem is that Grad Center is just terrible. It's a horrible design."