Ames '07 of w. tennis aiming for strong final campaign

Last weekend, Daisy Ames '07 helped lead the women's tennis team to three wins over Bucknell University, the University of Massachusetts-Amherst and Rutgers University. Ames paced the Bears by winning all five of her matches over the weekend, including two victories at No. 1 singles and three victories at No. 3 doubles. Against the Minutewomen, Ames rallied back for a 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 win in a three-hour long match. Ames is 11-5 since the fall and will be back in action against Vanderbilt University and University of Virginia this weekend.

Herald: How important was this weekend for the team?Ames: It was a great weekend for us. We came into the weekend 0-3 and left 3-3. We did what we were supposed to do, and that's what's most rewarding. I had lost to Michele Speises from UMass last year, so beating her this time felt good. She was more or less blowing me off the court in the first set, and she was up in the second. My coach and teammates helped me turn things around. I remember one instance where my coach told me I had to get fired up. I felt the pressure from him expecting me to win that match, and I knew that I had to clear my head and buckle down to win. I was down 4-3 in the second set and then won it 7-5 and then won the third set 6-4. It was nice to know I have control over situations and can make changes. It was worth the three hours.

Was that the longest match you've ever played?

One day I played a three-and-a-half-hour match followed by a three-hour match. I won them both. Yeah, I definitely ate dessert that night. Maybe two.

What do you think of your 11-5 record on the season?

I'm OK with it. But I can't help but to think about the fact that three of my five losses were in tiebreakers. I always revert back to what I did or changed in my train of thought. I haven't come up with any concrete answers ... yet.

What has been the best part of this season?

Well, if you include the fall semester, I really enjoyed playing the Eastern Collegiate Tennis Tournament at Army, which I won. It was so pretty there and awesome seeing the parachuters drop in and land on the 50-yard line at the football stadium.

When did you start playing tennis?

I didn't really start playing tennis until I moved to New York City when I was 14 years old from Atlanta. I played on some courts on the Lower West Side that have since been demolished and in Harlem at the Stadium Racquet Club. I'd take the subway by myself, from ninth through 11th grade. I thought I was a big girl.

Where did you play your senior year?

I went to Florida to play tennis my senior year at Saddlebrook Tennis Academy. I wanted to get better at tennis, and the move allowed me to play a lot more. We had class from 7 a.m. to noon and then tennis from 1 p.m. to five, sometimes six. I loved it.

How did it feel to leave New York your senior year for a new school?

I was getting frustrated in New York City because I wasn't getting to play enough. The demands of my strict school made it difficult to leave and play in tournaments. In order to get better, I knew it was necessary for me to change my surroundings. The change was much more favorable for an athletic lifestyle.

How did you decide on Brown?

Three of my four brothers went to Brown ... and played football here. I used to come to all of their games, so I already had an appreciation for its campus culture. When I was being recruited, Brown definitely stuck out as a place I felt most comfortable.

What is the best part of playing tennis for Brown?

Playing for (Head Coach) Paul Wardlaw has probably been one of the best things that happened to me at Brown. He's really had a lot of patience with the development of my game. He has helped me come to understand myself and the type of player I want to be.

What is the relationship between the men's and women's tennis teams?

I go to all of their matches when our schedule allows. Their energy is such an inspiration to me. They compete with so much fight and heart. I admire how much the men love playing tennis. You can see that they want to be on the court.

What you are doing after graduation?

I want to play professional tennis as soon as I graduate. There are a group of tournaments in France in July and then Spain in August. Europe is a great environment to begin playing professionally because there are so many tournaments there in the summer. Plus, playing on the clay court is the way to go. It makes you focus on point building as opposed to hard court where the ball is a lot faster.

What is your mindset about becoming a professional?

College has provided me with an amazing opportunity to improve, especially under Paul Wardlaw. I know if I devote even more time then I will definitely improve even more, and that is all I can ask of myself. Now, I just have to find a personal coach.

Do you think you could live in Europe?

Absolutely. I have plans some way or another to live in Italy. The accessibility of all of the art and architecture is what I want to surround myself with. I eventually want to go to graduate school in architecture and then study in Italy. I just have to learn how to draw and paint first.