Reflections on the Masters

I doubt that anyone, save Nick Faldo of CBS, could have foreseen the conclusion of the Masters two days ago. Tiger was one off the lead and in the final pairing on Sunday, and most people just expected him to intimidate the rest of the field into folding like a lawn chair. Though he had never come back in a major tournament after trailing through the first three rounds, you would figure that this scenario rendered that bit of trivia harmlessly moot.

Yet instead of a coronation for Tiger's 13th major victory, golf viewers were treated to the sight of a 31-year-old, balding Iowan named Zach Johnson slipping his arms into his very own green jacket. What made the finish all the more surreal was that everyone had this feeling - even when Tiger had to eagle the par-4 18th hole just to force a playoff - that Tiger would squash this Cinderella story. And yet for Johnson, the clock never struck midnight.

Immediately after the Masters coverage had concluded, I debated with my suitemate Brian whether Johnson had in fact won the Masters or whether Tiger had simply lost it. Johnson had the low score by the end of 72 holes, but at the same time, Tiger had numerous opportunities to close the gap and surge to the top of the leader board. As much as it is a cop-out answer, I felt that Johnson won it and Tiger lost it simultaneously.

This was the first time in quite a while that I have watched a golfer in the final round trade blows with Tiger and come out on top. When Tiger eagled on 13 to cut Johnson's lead from four strokes to two, I naturally assumed this was the beginning of the end - either Johnson would falter or Tiger would surge. Instead, Johnson birdied three out of four holes from 13 to 16 and finished with a 69 on the day. I saw a steely determination in his eyes that never suggested he was intimidated.

On the other hand, I do agree that Tiger choked a little bit, but if there was a moment or two where he truly lost the Masters, it was not on Sunday, as some pundits would suggest. It was at the end of Thursday's and Saturday's rounds, both of which finished with him bogeying 17 and 18. Take away those four extra strokes, and Tiger finishes at 1 under par instead of 3 over. Yes, his Sunday round was mediocre, but he would have been in much better position to begin with had he not hiccupped at the end of two of his first three rounds.

Those who follow golf should give Zach Johnson his due and recognize what he did: He took Tiger's best punch and never looked back. But do not count on a similar scenario playing itself out for the rest of the major season. Tigers rarely choke on their prey.

Could this be the end of Mickelson?Phil Mickelson's name was absent from the water-cooler talk surrounding the Masters this past weekend. In fact, he has failed to even sniff the top of the leader board at any significant tournament for what seems like the past year. When he choked at last year's U.S. Open, I didn't think then that it would set him back, but he clearly has not been the same golfer since. When he was asked about his meltdown at Winged Foot and its effect on his psyche following his final round Sunday, he hesitated for a good 10 seconds, which was enough for me to believe that he has not recovered. It's good that he got over his slump at the majors, because I'm not sure he will win another one.

Some suggest changes to televised golfWhile it sounds like he has a true passion for the game, Jim Nantz just does not do it for me as lead commentator for the Masters. Come to think of it, I'm not his biggest fan when it comes to his work in football or college basketball either. Don't get me wrong - I think the man has a nice voice and good command of his surroundings - but he's like vanilla ice cream, satisfactory at first, but after a while, you start yearning for alternatives.

Those of you who read the Sports Guy blog are aware of how much momentum the Gus Johnson Bandwagon has gained in recent weeks following yet another stellar showing on his part during the NCAA basketball tournament. Though I'm not the first to suggest it, I would like to restate how fantastic it would be to get him covering golf. He would add some serious color to the game - both literally and figuratively - and the fans would be worked up into the same frenzy that surrounds constant-action sports like football and basketball.

Speaking of college basketball announcers who would make great golf broadcasters, I would love to see Verne Lundquist team up with Bill Raftery on the 16th hole of Augusta National. Lundquist has already proved to be one of the best overall play-by-play men in the business (he's the best in my opinion), and Raftery's catch-phrases of "A little kiss" and "Send it in, big fella" are perfectly applicable to a finesse sport like golf.

All I can say is that if Gus Johnson is seen roaming the fairways at the U.S. Open, someone up there likes me.

Chris Mahr '07 and his columns are never absent from the water-cooler talk - among his friends, anyway.