Retiree learning group's vote to split from U. fails despite garnering majority

The Brown Community for Learning in Retirement will remain affiliated with the University, though a majority voted to become independent at a convocation Tuesday.

At the lunchtime meeting at Josiah's, 56 percent of the members present voted in favor of disaffiliating from the University, short of the two-thirds necessary to break away.

A growing scarcity of classroom space on campus and the possibility that University officials would seek more academic and administrative oversight had caused the group to consider disaffiliating with the University.

BCLIR is a community of older adults interested in continuing their learning experience in various fields. It has been affiliated with Brown for 23 years.

Harry Switzer, the incoming president of the group, said he will work with Karen Sibley, dean of summer and continuing studies, to plan the group's future.

"We had two viable options - staying or leaving - and we've picked one," he told The Herald. "We will work with Dean Sibley in every way possible to make the best of the situation."

Switzer said the decision to function through Brown will hold for now, but if "things do not work out" in the future, the group may reconsider its decision.

The organization, which had previously managed its own administrative affairs, will hand over management of its programs to Sibley's office, and the group's members will advise her on academic affairs, Switzer said.

Sibley, who attended the first half of the meeting, said she would want as much advice from the group as possible regarding its courses and publicity. The group's name will now be included in the summer and continuing studies catalogue, which should help increase enrollment, she said.

"I will eagerly welcome input from the group about what you want to study and how to market the group," she said.

The program will now offer two types of courses: round-table study groups and seminars. The round-table study groups will retain aspects of the group's old model of "collaborative learning," in which classes were peer-developed and peer-led. Now, the staff of the summer and continuing studies office will help the group's curriculum committee develop courses and lesson plans for the round-table classes. The seminars, on the other hand, will probably be taught by faculty members, Switzer said.

Barbara Findley, the incoming vice president of the group, told The Herald that the group would welcome academic advice from the University.

"Brown has tremendous knowledge that we don't have," she said. "We welcome any advice that we can get."

At the beginning of the convocation, Sibley addressed the group and urged them to remain affiliated with Brown.

"I hope you vote to stay because you bring a rich and vibrant learning group to the campus," she said. "I respect you a lot and have learned a lot from you."

Sibley said if the group decided to stay, she would work with them to provide "multiple learning opportunities," including lectures by faculty and graduate students and course-related travel opportunities.

"We would like to expand the array of things available and let you choose what you want most so we can cater to your needs to the best of our ability," she said.

The vote was conducted by secret ballot after about two hours of discussion among members regarding the pros and cons of remaining affiliated with Brown or becoming independent. A presentation by Tom Rooney, chair of the group's communication committee, explained to the members the consequences of either decision. Members asked questions of Sibley, Switzer and Rooney after the presentation.

In response to some members' concerns about whether Brown would intervene in the social aspects of the group, both Switzer and Sibley said the social and cultural activities of the group would continue as before.

Peter Dunst, a former president of the group, said he supported the motion to become independent.

"It is important to everyone in this room to belong to an organization which has social discourse amongst the members. There is a difference beatween going to a seminar offered by Brown and joining a collaborative learning group. The fabulous experience we have with BCLIR will be lost," he said.

Roberta Segal, a member of the group's executive committee, said the group's long history of collaborative learning would be "compromised" by staying affiliated with Brown.

"I resent that our seminars will be called round-table study groups. I think it is an insult to our talent and leadership. The executive committee will be disbanded, and we will become an advisory group," she said.

But other members said they wanted to remain on-campus.

"If we leave, we would be in a competitive stance with Brown and its program for retired people," said Susan Belles.

Mary Shepherd, another program participant, said the University's assistance should not be spurned.

"I feel Brown is making an effort to cooperate with us. We should stay with this great institution," she said.

Peter Ciccariello, a member of the group's curriculum committee, told The Herald he is confident the group will survive as an organization.

"Everyone wants the program to succeed. We will work with Brown to make the best of it," he said.