UMass prof Nieto kicks off Latino History Month

The Third World Center launched its commemoration of Latino History Month with a convocation ceremony Tuesday evening called "Uniting Our Roots" that featured student speakers, a short film and a keynote address delivered by Sonia Nieto, professor emerita at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.

Nieto's speech stressed the importance of preserving the unique and diverse ethnic identity of the Latino community and emphasized the importance of education as a "way out" for Latinos, who she said have "by and large experienced poor academic achievement."

"Access to high quality education and respect for students' identities" are the major issues to consider in the future of education for Latinos, Nieto said. Latinos make up 19 percent of the school-age population in the United States, she said, but most attend poorly funded and highly segregated schools.

"In general, Latinos are among the poorest in the nation," she said. "These are grim realities, but they are important realities to know."

Nieto, whose appointment is at UMass' School of Education, sought to debunk several myths about why Latinos in the United States tend to achieve less academically, including the assumption that education is not a priority for Latino parents and that Latino students are "culturally and experientially deprived."

She told the audience in MacMillan 117 that the existing deficits are rather a result of discrimination and a lack of knowledge among many Latinos about educational opportunities, such as scholarships and financial aid.

"I think the biggest obstacle is not the cost of tuition but that (Latino) students perceive that that's the biggest obstacle," she said.

Despite the current bleak situation, Nieto said there is a lot that can be done. "There is hope, and you are that hope," she said of the Latino students at Brown.

Nieto emphasized the importance of taking responsibility and serving as an educator and advocate in the Latino community and teaching others about the unique perspective of Latinos in the United States.

"All Latinos are not alike, and it's important for you to educate people about that," she said.

Latino History Month Programmer Andrea Lopez '08 also spoke in her opening remarks of the diversity of the Latino community, evidenced by the recent growth and success of cultural and academic student groups among Latinos at Brown.

For Mayra Reyes '10, the event's other student speaker, friendships with fellow Latino students on campus have helped her to feel more at home on College Hill. "I can say with great certainty that the Latino community here at Brown shares a great responsibility in my triumphs," she said.

The convocation was the first of several events that will take place over the coming weeks in recognition of Latino History Month. Upcoming events include a "fiesta" in Sayles Hall and a lecture by Ana Vilma de Escobar, the vice president of El Salvador and first woman to hold that post.

The Latino History Month events are part of an effort by students at the Third World Center to provide "the Brown community with experiences to learn more about Latinos ... (and) a forum for Latino students to work together," Lopez said.

Nieto's speech provided additional inspiration for Lopez and other attendees, such as Jeffry Esquivel '09, a member of the Latino History Month Committee. "I found it interesting that she challenged misconceptions that people have about Latinos," he said, adding that it was moving to hear her speak of the responsibility that Latino students have to the community at large.

Lopez said Nieto's emphasis on education was relevant to issues facing Latino students at Brown. "Being here at Brown, it's kind of easy to forget about where you come from and where your roots are," she said, adding that it is important maintain a sense of responsibility. "We're here because other people came before us and other people took those risks."