W. crew takes national title for 5th time

Web Update posted May 28
The women's crew captured its fifth NCAA championship in nine years on Sunday, May 27, at the 2007 NCAA Women's Rowing Championships, held at Melton Hill Lake in Oak Ridge, Tenn.

Brown finished with 58 points, four points ahead of the second-place University of Virginia. The Ohio State University finished third with 52 points, and Yale came in fourth with 51.

Depth was the key to the Bears' triumph. Though Brown did not win any of the three grand finals, each boat ran a solid race. Brown's best finish was a second place showing in the varsity four race. Rowers Aubrey Fitzpatrick '10, Nicole McDonald '10, Molly Junck '10, Hannah Malvin '10 and coxswain Rebecca Fein '10 crossed the line just after Virginia in a time of 7:45.41. The University of California, Berkeley, finished third at 7:47.87, followed by Princeton, the University of Washington and Yale.

The Bears took third place in the second varsity eight race, finishing at 6:59.71. The University of Minnesota took first place with a 6:56.39, while UC-Berkeley trailed at 6:59.15. Virginia, Ohio State and Washington followed Brown.

Brown posted a fourth-place showing in the tight first varsity eight race, as Yale held the lead from the outset and Ohio State and the University of Southern California pulled away at the end of the race. Despite being the Bears' weakest performance of the day, the boat's time of 6:39.55 still placed it a spot ahead of Virginia, the team's stiffest competition for the national title.

With its unmatched point total, women's crew added another NCAA Championship to a resume that includes national titles in 1999, 2000, 2002 and 2004.