Sigma Chi scholarships awarded

Four students have been awarded the Fordyce Remsen Lozier and Mary Williams Horr Lozier scholarship, a renewable scholarship administered by the Rhode Island Foundation for current and former members of the Sigma Chi fraternity or their relatives.

Joshua Lakin MD'09, Vincent Criscione '06 MD'10, Jesse Maddox '08 and Han-Hui Ling '09 were each awarded scholarships of between $1,000 and $2,000 from the fund, which was established in 1993.

Three of the students - Lakin, Criscione and Maddox - are past winners of the scholarship, said Jean Cohoon, a spokeswoman for the foundation.

Criscione and Maddox, both current members of Sigma Chi, said they learned of the scholarship through other members of the fraternity. Lakin, who was a Sigma Chi brother at his undergraduate college, said he learned of the scholarship through Brown's financial aid Web site for medical students.

In his original application for the scholarship, Lakin recalls he wrote about how he was "hoping to do something in primary care" in the future - and, he said, after two renewals, he still hopes to specialize in family medicine and pediatrics.

The scholarship is awarded once a year. Students must demonstrate a history of academic distinction as well as financial need, according to the application.