Annual fund aims to raise $35m in FY'08

Following a record-breaking campaign last year to raise funds to support ongoing projects, Joan Wernig Sorensen '72 P'06 P'06 and Ralph Rosenberg '86 took the helm of the Brown Annual Fund as co-chairs in July.

Sorensen and Rosenberg have previously held various positions in the University's fundraising apparatus, and both are members of the Corporation, the University's top governing body.

"Each year raising money seems to get easier and easier," Sorenson said. "We have a wonderful president in Ruth Simmons and her plans for academic enrichment. I am proud of the University I graduated from, and many other people feel the same, since participation increases every year."

Rosenberg could not be reached for comment.

The Annual Fund is the main avenue for alums, parents and past faculty to donate to Brown. The fund contacts thousands of people connected to the University each year, not only to encourage donations but also to give updates on University news, said Annual Fund Director Tammie Ruda.

"Last year 340 Brown alumni and parents made up the Annual Fund," Sorensen said. "We hope to increase our numbers with more volunteers, who make our jobs easier."

In fiscal year 2007 - which ran from July 1, 2006, to June 30, 2007 - the fund raised over $34.6 million from 34,316 donors. That set a new record - the 13th straight record-breaking year, Ruda said.

In fiscal 2006, $30.7 million was raised from 32,295 donors, and in fiscal 2005, $25 million was raised from 30,230 donors.

"We look to continue the same methods in the past that has made us very successful. We went from $15 million in 2001 to $34 million in 2007 and about a 77 percent increase in the donors," Sorensen said. "We plan to fine-tune some things but not much change."

In fiscal 2008, which began in July, the fund is raising its target slightly - to $35 million from 35,000 donors.

"Our goal of $35 million from 35,000 donors was determined by a number of factors including the University's budget needs, our previous fundraising results and the opportunities for further growth," Ruda said.

The fund targets different groups. About one-third of donations come from groups of alums returning to campus for reunions in May.

"When alumni celebrate the anniversary of their graduation, they often make extraordinary gifts, giving more generously than they would in the years between reunions," Ruda said.

Other important donor groups include alums of the Graduate School and parents. Graduate alums gave $523,746 last year, 9 percent more than the previous year. Non-alum parents contributed $4.8 million last year, a 15 percent increase from the previous year.

Challenge gifts - pledges by major donors to match contributions up to a certain amount - have been an important part of past years' fundraising efforts, but "at this point, no challengers have stepped forward" this year, Ruda said.

Last year's Graduates of Last Decade Participation Challenge raised $500,000 from alums of the classes of 1997 through 2006. Other challenge gifts from last year included Rally for the Record challenge and the Chancellor's Leadership Challenge, which raised $1.5 million and $1 million respectively.

Current students are also involved in the Annual Fund, including through the senior gift and the approximately 60 students who work for the University asking alums, parents and others to make contributions to the fund.

Annual Fund donations are unrestricted, meaning the University can use them for any immediate programmatic needs.

"Annual Fund gifts provide faculty support, undergraduate financial aid, graduate student fellowships, library and technology resources, and other enhancements to the student experience such as the first-year seminar program and (Undergraduate Teaching and Research Awards)," Ruda said.