Law school grads shouldn't expect lucrative job market

The job market for law school graduates has never been better in terms of the number of available jobs, but high-paying jobs are not as plentiful as many graduates anticipate.

Many students go to law school as a "default," because they are unsure of what to do after graduation, according to Andrew Simmons, associate dean of the College for health and law careers. However, many students underestimate the amount of debt they might accumulate from attending law school and are uninformed about what to expect after graduating.

"As with any career, people need to go in with eyes open, (but) the stakes are higher because the cost is higher," Simmons said.

The problem is that "the majority of law-school graduates are suffering from a supply-and-demand imbalance that's suppressing pay and job growth," the Wall Street Journal reported last month.

James Leipold '84, executive director of the National Association for Law Placement, said his organization's goal is to "try to educate people" that while "the market is the strongest it has been in a long time," undergraduate students need to be aware of what life after law school is really like. Though 14 percent of students make upwards of $135,000 their first year out, the median starting salary for the law school class of 2006 nationwide was $62,000.

"Despite the fact that students make all different amounts of money, everyone graduates with the same debt," Leipold added.

Simmons said he hopes these statistics will "prompt people to think more analytically" as to whether law school is what they really want. In many cases, he said, he thinks that taking a year off gives students time to think about their decision and gain "a much better sense of what they're getting into."

"Experience informs choice," he said, stressing the importance of working in the real world, making contacts and putting oneself in a better position to handle debt.

Thea Cohen '08 said she is considering law school, but she may take a year off "just to be sure" that law school is "not a default."

Another factor to consider is what law school to attend. Both Simmons and Leipold stress that while "the reputation of law school matters," as Simmons said, it is not everything. When hiring, law firms are looking at a wider range of universities to fill their spots, but regardless of the school, they generally focus on the highest-ranking students, Simmons and Leipold said.

"The best law school decision is to go somewhere where you will be at the top of your class, and sometimes that is not the most prestigious school on your list," Leipold said. "For the bottom half, no matter where you go, the employment market is tougher." He said he encourages students to choose the school that is best for them and will, most realistically, give them a chance to be at the higher end of their class - and therefore in a position to get better jobs post-graduation.

Simmons said students need to be aware that high costs and precarious job markets are an "issue in higher education across the board," something that should motivate students to think about why they are heading to any graduate program, rather than just going without specific goals.

Though the high costs of law school and the chance of a low salary upon graduating are deterring factors, the long-term benefits outweigh the challenges for many.

"Carrying a law degree opens up so many doors and is a great investment for the future," said Pratik Chougule '08, who is currently applying to law school.