Still no academic credit for J-term

This year's January@Brown program - the second time the winter term is being offered - will offer new classes and social events, but the courses will still not carry academic credit, to the disappointment of some students.

"January@Brown is educationally worthwhile but not high pressure. It's not for credit - it is for the pure joy of learning," said Associate Dean of Summer and Continuing Studies and Director of Leadership Robin Rose, who helps coordinate the winter term.

Participation in the program will cost $640, and the fee will cover course costs as well as room and board. Students receiving Brown Financial Aid may be eligible for financial aid for the January@Brown program.

But students told The Herald that while the winter term is interesting, the lack of academic credit deters them from participating.

"I think credit gives more motivation for students to stay on campus," said Alexandra Feldman '11. "Without credits, the program is a waste of time for me. You're better getting a job or internship."

"If you're getting credit for the classes, it could count for graduation requirements, whereas otherwise you're working for nothing," said Casey Kelsey '11.

Mark Tumiski '08, who was involved in last year's initial planning of January@Brown, said it is unlikely the question of credit will be resolved because the University would have to extend winter recess to allow for a sufficiently long January term.

Last year, January@Brown was launched as a pilot program and enrolled 19 people. This year, a student steering committee worked with the Office of Summer and Continuing Studies to attract more students to the program. Tan Van Nguyen '10, a member of the committee, said the group hopes to increase awareness about the winter term. The schedule has also been adjusted to allow more athletes to participate.

The winter term will also incorporate activities such as salsa dancing, ice skating and trips to Boston. In the future, the student steering committee hopes to broaden the array of courses and even include GRE test preparation.

January@Brown will take place from Jan. 9 to Jan. 18. Participants will enroll in one non-credit seminar of 20 students or less, and most classes will meet from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. everyday. Course topics include creative nonfiction, chemistry, persuasive communication and alternative dispute resolution. Students who successfully complete the alternative dispute resolution course during the winter term receive a certificate of completion from the state of Rhode Island.