Winter break Xbox thefts among incidents

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Dec. 13 and Jan. 23. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls, which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Friday, Dec. 14:

10:37 a.m. Complainant stated that at 9 a.m. she was at the Salomon Center taking an exam. She stated that she was sitting in the rear of the auditorium and moved to the front. When she moved, she did not take her shoulder bag and contents with her. At the end of the exam at 10:15 a.m., she returned to where she was sitting and discovered the bag missing. There are no suspects at this time.

10:32 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the upper area of Keeney Quadrangle for a noise complaint. Upon arrival they heard loud music and yelling coming from Bronson House. As they approached the room, two males were entering. The officers observed a beer pong table set up with approximately 30 empty cans of beer on the table and on the floor. There were two opened 30-packs of beer which were later confiscated. All occupants of the room were under 21 years old. The officers gathered all of their information and asked where they had gotten the beer from. A student advised them that "he found the beers under a tree." The students were dispersed and this report has been forwarded to the Office of Student Life.

Sunday, Dec. 16:

5:00 p.m. Student stated that her laptop was stolen from her room. She stated that around 4:10 p.m., she left her door unlocked and took a shower. She returned around 4:40 p.m. and noticed that her laptop and $60 in cash were missing from her room.

Wednesday, Dec. 19:

11:26 a.m. A contractor reported that he stored fiberglass pipe covering and tools in the mechanical room in the basement of the John Hay Library on Dec. 18 at 2 p.m. On Dec. 19 at 7 a.m., he noticed that the materials and tools were missing. The materials were stored in plastic bags. There was no sign of forced entry or any damage found in the mechanical room.

7:56 p.m. Student reported that he was in his dorm room sleeping from around 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. When he woke up to let his roommate inside he realized that the door had been closed, when in fact before he went to sleep he had originally propped it open with a door stopper. His laptop and Handycam mini DVD recorder were stolen. He had no idea who would have done this, and there are no suspects at this time.

9:00 p.m. While on routine patrol at Wayland Arch, officers came across a group of seven young men who were unloading an eight 30-packs of beer from an SUV. The officers asked them where they were headed, to which they replied Olney House. They then asked them to produce their identifications. Upon retrieval of their IDs, they found only two of them to be of legal drinking age, and three of them were Brown students. At this time the supervisor responded to the location and determined the men aged 21 and over would be allowed to carry the beer to its destination. He informed the students it is against Rhode Island General Laws to purchase alcohol for, or to allow minors to possess, alcohol, and that such conduct is also a violation of University policy. This report was filed and forwarded to the Office of Student Life.

Friday, Dec. 21:

10:03 a.m. A professor reported that on Nov. 16 at 11 a.m., she noticed various types of thermocouple wire and scrapes missing. She stated that both of the rooms are busy working labs and the items missing are there to test rock deformation.

Friday, Dec. 28:

8:38 a.m. Officers were dispatched for a report of an intrusion alarm. When they arrived on scene the exterior of the building was secure. However, they found a pick in the lock of the north side basement door. The interior was checked and everything appeared to be in order.

Wednesday, Jan. 2:

9:52 a.m. Two employees reported that between 4 p.m. on Dec. 21 and 8 a.m. on Jan. 2, unknown person(s) pried off the security cables from and stole their University-assigned laptops. There was no force used to get into the building and the elevator on the east side was found unsecured over the mentioned time span. The cables were taken as evidence and the case is under investigation.

10:09 a.m. Complaintant reported that some time between 11 a.m. on Dec. 29 and 10 a.m. on Jan. 2 unknown person(s) took his bicycle. He said that he had left his bicycle in a hallway. He reported that the bike was not locked.

4:34 p.m. A professor reported he had parked his vehicle on Cooke Street at approximately 10 a.m. Upon his return to his vehicle at approximately 4:15 p.m. he found the side front passenger's window broken and his navigation system missing. He reported he had left the item in plain view in the front of the vehicle. Providence Police arrived on scene and took a report.

Monday, Jan. 7:

7:04 p.m. An officer noticed graffiti on the Lot 71 sign. The graffiti appeared to have been written with black marker. Facilities Management was notified.

Wednesday, January 16:

3:09 p.m. Student reported that on Friday, Dec. 21 at approximately 2 p.m. he left for winter break and his gaming console was there. When he returned at approximately 2:30 p.m. on Jan. 18 his gaming console, three wireless remotes and two plug-in attachments were missing from the common area of the suite. He said he had spoken with a roommate, who was the last to leave the suite. He stated the door was secured and the console was there when he left.

10:19 p.m. An officer met with a student complainant who stated that when he left for winter break on Dec. 20 at 5 p.m., his iHome was on his desk. He stated that he locked the door to his dorm room. When he returned from winter break on Jan. 16 at approximately 12:30 p.m. he found his iHome missing. There are no suspect(s) at this time.

Thursday, Jan. 17:

11:50 a.m. Student reported that between Dec. 22 and Jan. 17, his XBox and two video games were stolen from his friend's dorm room.

12:11 p.m. Student reported that between Dec. 25 and Jan. 14, four DVDs were taken from his room.

Friday, Jan. 18:

11:43 a.m. Employee reported a laptop missing. The door to the room does not lock, but the laptop was secured to a desk with a cable lock. She said the lock and cable were still secured to the desk, but the laptop was pulled off the cable.

Sunday, Jan. 20:

9:35 p.m. A student reported that he had left Liquid Lounge around 2:30 a.m. and while walking home was hit in the back of the head. There are no suspects at this time. Detectives are investigating.

Monday, Jan. 21:

4:29 p.m. Student reported that when he arrived back on campus after leaving for break on Dec. 22, he discovered that his Xbox, controllers, games, battery charger and cables were missing. There was no sign of forced entry. There are no suspects at this time.

Wednesday, Jan. 23:

3:08 p.m. An assistant professor stated that a Brown-owned laptop was stolen from a laboratory approximately between 12 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. She reported the two doors located in the laboratory were both left unlocked and the room was left unattended. A post-doctoral fellow stated that approximately between the hours of 12 p.m. and 1 p.m., he witnessed a light-skinned black male, approximately 30 to 40 years of age, 6-foot-3 and wearing a gray and white long winter coat, exit a room and enter his laboratory room, which are connected by an unsecured fire door. When the unknown male saw him he turned around and exited back through the fire door. He stated he thought nothing of it at the time. The case is under investigation by detectives.