Editor's Picks: Bruno's games not-to-miss for the fall season

By Amy EhrhartSports Editor

Sept. 5 & 7: The Ivy League title-winning men's soccer team will be taking the field as hosts of the annual Adidas Soccer Classic tournament versus Big East adversaries St. John's College and Villanova University. The annual pre-game BBQ takes place Friday, Sept. 5 in front of the Pizzitola Sports Center, and makes for an excellent kick-off weekend for fall sports.

Sept. 8 & 9: The men's tennis team doesn't have any home matches this semester, but their first one up at Harvard will surely provide some drama. The Crimson grabbed an Ivy title in 2007 after Bruno took the 2005 and 2006 titles, and the Bears are eager to reassert their dominance. The one-hour trip north will be worth it to see how the Ivy title will pan out come April.

Sept. 27: The homecoming football game at Brown Stadium is always thrilling to attend, and this year the Bears will have a score to settle as they play Ivy League Champion Harvard, who edged by the Bears in a seven-point game last year.

Oct. 14 & 29: The No. 19 men's water polo has only two "home" matches all year at Wheaton College, just over the border in Norton, Mass. (Brown has built a temporary pool behind the Olney Margolis Athletic Center following the roof collapse of the Smith Swim Center last year, but this facility is not large enough to host any competitions.) If last year's games against Connecticut College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are any indication, these two games should be an exciting chance to watch Brown dominate.

Oct. 18 & 19: The Head and Tail of the Charles races in Boston always feature the best crew competition of the fall. The women's crew team will be looking to start where they have left off after winning two consecutive NCAA titles, while the men are building on another strong year after recently winning the prestigious ECAC Turfer Award.

Nov. 7: Last year against Cornell University's Big Red, the volleyball team won in an epic five-game battle before a huge Pizzitola crowd. This year's rematch should provide more hard-hitting plays at to jump-start the last home weekend of the season.

Nov. 8: The last home game for the seven seniors of the women's soccer team will make for an emotional night on Stevenson Field, so don't miss this game against Ivy League rival Yale University. The field hockey team will also be playing its final game on this Saturday night against Yale, and they will be saying goodbye to four outstanding seniors of their own.