Overlapping seasons pack athletic calendar

As the end of the winter season and the beginning of the spring overlap, five Bruno teams will host a total of eight home games this weekend, including two home openers and two home finales.

Seven seniors will play their final games at Meehan Auditorium when the men's hockey team (3-20-4, 3-14-3 ECAC Hockey) takes on Colgate (10-16-6, 5-11-4) on Friday and Cornell (17-6-4, 12-5-3) on Saturday at 7 p.m. in the regular season finale.

The Bears will look to build on the momentum they picked up last weekend when, after losing 4-1 to Princeton on Friday, they upset Quinnipiac, 3-2, the following day. Ryan Garbutt '09 and Sean McMonagle '10 each notched two points and Mike Clemente '12 made 25 saves between the pipes.

Although the Bears are in last place in the conference, all 12 men's teams automatically make the playoffs, which will start next weekend.

The women's basketball team (3-21, 1-9 Ivy League) will take the court in the Pizzitola Center for the final time this season for games against Princeton (9-14, 4-5) on Friday and Penn (6-17, 3-6) on Saturday at 7 p.m.

The Bears will look to rebound from two tough losses last weekend, 88-57 to Columbia on Friday and 68-58 to Cornell the following day. Shae Fitzpatrick '10 led Brown with 25 points over the two games, followed by Sarah Delk '11 with 20 and Amy Ehrhart '09, a former Herald sports editor, with 17. Betsy Jacobson '11 snagged 11 rebounds.

Both the men's and women's lacrosse teams debut at home on Saturday.

The 14th-ranked men's team will take on No. 13 Hofstra in a highly anticipated matchup at 12:30 p.m. on Meister-Kavan Field. The Bears picked up a 13-12 win over Lehigh on Saturday in their season opener. Andrew Feinberg '11 tallied three goals and two assists, Collins Carey '10 also picked up a hat-trick and added two assists and reigning Ivy League Player of the Year and second team All-American Jordan Burke '09 notched seven saves. Hofstra slipped past No. 20 UMass on Saturday, 11-10.

The women will also host Hofstra, facing off at 3 p.m. at the Berylson Family Fields. In their season opener on Wednesday, the Bears beat Sacred Heart 10-6, behind five goals and an assist by Jesse Nunn '09.

The men's tennis team (9-3) will host a doubleheader on Saturday, facing Binghamton at noon and UConn at 5 p.m. Last weekend, the Bears dropped a 7-0 match to No. 32 Virginia Tech on Saturday before turning around to beat Georgetown by the same score the following day. Bruno's hopes may hinge on whether captain Chris Lee '09 can return from a back injury.

-Sports Staff Reports