Burke '09, Gormley '11, Glick '10 take home awards

A bevy of Bears received recognition on the awards scene this week.

For the second year in a row, men's lacrosse captain and goalie Jordan Burke '09 has been named a finalist for the Tewaarton Award, given annually to the national player of the year. Burke is also a finalist for the Lowe's Senior Class Award, which recognizes excellence in the classroom, community, character and competition. Burke leads the Ivy League with a .626 save percentage and 12.4 saves per game, while his 7.6 goals against average stands eleventh in the nation. Last season, he was honored as both the Ivy League and the New England Player of the Year and was named a Second Team All-American.

On the diamond, Mark Gormley '11 was named the Ivy League co-Pitcher of the Week for two sparkling appearances in which he surrendered just one run over eight innings. He pitched 1 2/3 innings of one-hit relief in a 3-2 win over Marist on April 14, then led Brown to a 3-1 win over Harvard on Saturday, beginning a four-game sweep of the Crimson. In his start on Saturday, Gormley scattered six hits and struck out six batters in 6 1/3 innings.

After a strong showing at the Northern Division Championship, Sarah Glick '10 was named the Collegiate Water Polo Association's Northern Division Player of the Week. She filled the stat sheet with nine goals, six steals and nine assists in three games. Glick notched a pair of hat tricks on Saturday in a 16-4 win over Connecticut College and an 8-7 double-overtime win over Harvard, scoring the tying goal with 26 seconds left in regulation. Glick also scored three goals in Sunday's 11-7 loss to Hartwick, but the Bears will still advance to the Eastern Championship, which begins on Friday.

In addition, four Bears were named to the Ivy League honor roll for their respective sports. Robert Papenhause '09 scored at least one run in all seven of the baseball team's games last week. In an 8-5 win over Harvard in the second game on Saturday, Papenhause fell a single short of the cycle and drove in three runs.

Kate Strobel '12 powered the softball team to a 1-3 record against Harvard over the weekend, going 5-for-13 with two doubles, two home runs, three runs scored and five RBI. She leads the Bears with a .344 batting average, 33 hits, 20 runs, five home runs, a .573 slugging percentage and a .933 OPS on the season.

Attackman Thomas Muldoon '10 tallied six goals and three assists to lead the men's lacrosse team to two wins over the past week. He tallied two goals and three assists in an 8-6 victory over Harvard on April 15, and netted four goals in a 10-6 win over Providence College on Saturday.

For the women's lacrosse team, midfielder Alexa Caldwell '11 shone in a pair of losses to Quinnipiac and Penn. She tallied seven ground balls, two draw controls, forced seven turnovers and netted a goal against Penn.